Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Inactive relationships using SSAS Live Connection

Hi Community,

I have a situation that appears when I use Live Connection to a SSAS cube.  As I go and slice/dice using various visualizations, I unable to provide needed visuals as I have inactive relationships that were detected in the data model in Desktop.

My research shows that I may be able to use the DAX expression using USERELATIONSHIP.  However, I have tried a few expressions and am not getting the desired results.  So:

1.  Should I be attempting to "fix" the inactive relationships in Power BI Desktop OR have a DBD help do this is the tabular model?

2.  If I can do the fixes in Power BI Desktop (which ideally I'd like to do), is there someone in the community that is well-versed in this area that can help me?  I'd provide all the details.

I have 2 projects on hold due to this situation. 😏

Appreciate any insight!

Thanks

Michellesnapshot 2.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

1.  Should I be attempting to "fix" the inactive relationships in Power BI Desktop

You cannot alter the relationships in a SSAS cube from Power BI Desktop.

Your only options are to either get the relationships fixed in the SSAS solution. This has the benefit that any future reports built of this model will have the same fix already in place.

Although it looks like there are some circular relationships there so activiating the relationships you've highlighted might require other relationships in the model to be made inactive to avoid ambiguity. The way to resolve this is to create measures using USERELATIONSHIP or CROSSFILTER to control the relationship activation. It's probably best to discuss your requirements with the model developer so that they can alter the solution appropriately.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for responding. Yeah I'm going to go back to the DBD to hopefully work it out with him.

Michelle

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.