cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nickmac Visitor
Visitor

In the query editor, is it possible to reference tables other than the one I am currently editing?

Is it possible to use the LOOKUPVALE formula in the query editor in Power BI? - It won't allow me to lookup values from tables other than the one which I'm editing.

I have 6 data sets. 5 are output data from systems and the last is a database reference.

Outside of the query editor, for each system, I can add additional columns and run the LOOKUPVALUE formula to pull in the related data I need from the DB ref.

But then I need a new table/query which appends those new columns from all 5 systems. But I'm not sure how to append the columns outside the query editor. And if I go into the query editor, then my newly created columns don't exist (since they were made outside the query editor).

Have you ever run into this situation or know of any workarounds? 

Dynamic LOOKUPVALUE Edit Queries : Query setting  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Aron_Moore Established Member
Established Member

Re: In the query editor, is it possible to reference tables other than the one I am currently editin

Instead of lookupvalue, which you are likely using some kind of key to lookup, use that same key to join the tables (and just expand the column you need).

Capture.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: In the query editor, is it possible to reference tables other than the one I am currently editin

LOOKUPVALUE is DAX, Power Query uses M. So, that won't work but @ImkeF might have a different way to do it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Aron_Moore Established Member
Established Member

Instead of lookupvalue, which you are likely using some kind of key to lookup, use that same key to join the tables (and just expand the column you need).

Capture.PNG

Super User
Super User

Not sure if I understood the requirement, but @Aron_Moore s suggestion could well be the answer.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries