Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

monty
Advocate I
Advocate I

In Navigator on OData receive "The type of the current preview value is too complex to display"

Running Power BI 2.70.5494.761 64-bit june 2019.

When I open the OData 4 feed on URL https://app.office365-apps.com/powerbi/bridge/v9/odata4, this message is displayed. Download from browser with basic authentication attached as v9.json. Note that the column list associated with it is very large.

The OData 4 feed on URL https://app.office365-apps.com/powerbi/bridge/v8/odata4 is similar, but less extensive. Download attached as v8.json.

What does this error mean?

2019-07-04 09_07_07-Window.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
monty
Advocate I
Advocate I

Found cause of problem. We have several tables with 10.000+ columns (they are on Invantive SQL, which has higher limits than normal). Power BI seems to fail with "The type of the current preview is too complex to display." when a table has more than approximately 3.000 columns.

Restricted to 3.000 columns for now.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
monty
Advocate I
Advocate I

Found cause of problem. We have several tables with 10.000+ columns (they are on Invantive SQL, which has higher limits than normal). Power BI seems to fail with "The type of the current preview is too complex to display." when a table has more than approximately 3.000 columns.

Restricted to 3.000 columns for now.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @monty ,

Here is a similar thread for your reference. Please check if the suggestion mentioned in it work for your scenario.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana Gu, thanks for your suggestion!

Sadly enough the JSON files (see attached files) have no relationships, so the similar error on the referred to issue has no correlation with this cause. Nonetheless thanks!

Regards,

Guido

Hi @monty ,

Maybe you can create a support ticket for further analysis.

Support Ticket.gif

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.