Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Importing table from another Power BI service dataset

Hi ,

I have a realy complex model published to the service.
I want to build another model based on one particular calculated table in the original model.

So basicaly I am trying to find a way to import only one table from an existing dataset.

Connecting to the dataset is not an option becasue it shows me the 30+ tables I have in this dataset and I don't need them.

I know there is a way to connect via OLE DB as sugested it this article
https://binary-lies-blog.herokuapp.com/importing-data-from-another-power-bi-service-dataset/
The problem is that it dosen't work for me.
I am trying different approaches and getting different errors
This is one for example:
"xml parsing failed at line 1 column 9 dtd is prohibited"

Need help here.

1 REPLY 1
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to my knowledge, the connection mode of  connecting to a dataset from power bi service is live connection. Live connection is to connect to the data model. So you can't modify the original data, it is an already built data model. It is recommended that you still contact the administrator of the dataset to resolve this issue.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.