Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OVRanger

Importing photos in PowerBI from Fulcrum App?

Hello. Does anyone have any experience with importing photos from a Fulcrum App into PowerBI? I have no problem bringing data across from Fulcrum Apps to PowerBI and working with that data.

I can import the photos and can see the URL's in my tables, but I can't get the images to display at all - they just show the generic image icon. (I've changed the categorisation to image URL). I have tried importing the photos from Fulcrum using both data shares and direct queries, but both methods only end up displying the image icon, not the image.

Any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OVRanger 

How did you connect to Fulcrum App to get photo, Web or Query API?

For reference: Connecting to Power BI

Both of them need you to authenticate to get access to data source.

Please check if you have authenticated correctly when you connect to Fulcrum App. Make sure the account you have authenticated has access to the photo url.

Normally, the images will show broken in desktop and will work well in Power BI Service. Please publish your report to Service and check your photos.

I think the steps are like getting image from sharepoint. You may refer to the video as below.

For reference: How to Display SharePoint Images to Power BI?

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

OVRanger

Thank you Rico

It’s working now. The last sticking point was the File Origin type in Power BI- by default it came in as Windows and I needed to change that to 65001: Unicode (UTF-8). That tip was on the info you sent through, so thanks very much.

FYI – the photos only work using query functions, not Fulcrum data shares. The issue was that when using photo_url from the data share link, it provided the fulcrum photo viewer url, not the actual photo url. The query function provides the actual photo url.

Also, my photos are displaying in PowerBI Desktop which is handy.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
OVRanger

Thank you Rico

It’s working now. The last sticking point was the File Origin type in Power BI- by default it came in as Windows and I needed to change that to 65001: Unicode (UTF-8). That tip was on the info you sent through, so thanks very much.

FYI – the photos only work using query functions, not Fulcrum data shares. The issue was that when using photo_url from the data share link, it provided the fulcrum photo viewer url, not the actual photo url. The query function provides the actual photo url.

Also, my photos are displaying in PowerBI Desktop which is handy.

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OVRanger 

How did you connect to Fulcrum App to get photo, Web or Query API?

For reference: Connecting to Power BI

Both of them need you to authenticate to get access to data source.

Please check if you have authenticated correctly when you connect to Fulcrum App. Make sure the account you have authenticated has access to the photo url.

Normally, the images will show broken in desktop and will work well in Power BI Service. Please publish your report to Service and check your photos.

I think the steps are like getting image from sharepoint. You may refer to the video as below.

For reference: How to Display SharePoint Images to Power BI?

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.