Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Importing links from excel

Hi ,

Need urgent help!

I have a table in excel as below, where the id's have hyperlink associated to it.

ID

I want to import this column in power bi, with the links, so that when i insert this column in table visual, i get the id's with link in it and on clicking the link should open.

Is there any way to do it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

You can extract the URLs in the excel file and then import the excel data into power bi.

CopyUrls1.gif

In excel you can insert the following in a new module and use it as a funciton as illustrated above.

Function CopyURL(HyperlinkCell As Range)

CopyURL = HyperlinkCell.Hyperlinks(1).Address
End Function

If this helped you, please mark this post as an accepted solution and like to give KUDOS .

Regards,

Affan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
IV97
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for this solution.

How could I allow the function to ignore the IDs without hyperlink and return a blank cell instead of an error? 

Best,

IV

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

It is not available to directly load the hyperlinks generated in Excel file into Power BI desktop. You could take affan's workaround that extract the URL first in Excel, then, set the data category of that link column to "Web URL" in Power BI desktop.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

You can extract the URLs in the excel file and then import the excel data into power bi.

CopyUrls1.gif

In excel you can insert the following in a new module and use it as a funciton as illustrated above.

Function CopyURL(HyperlinkCell As Range)

CopyURL = HyperlinkCell.Hyperlinks(1).Address
End Function

If this helped you, please mark this post as an accepted solution and like to give KUDOS .

Regards,

Affan

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.