Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aktripathi2506
Helper IV
Helper IV

Importing excel worksheet among multiple worksheets

Hi,

I am having a doubt:

Suppose I have an excel which have 4-5 tabs (Worksheet) with data in it, but I want to import only 1 sheet. Then when I upload the data in query editor I see the other workbooks name as well in the bottom right corner (while processing in query editor). Is power BI spent some time in looking into other worksheet too which are the part of the file (but not needed for our report).

I think it makes my data load slow.

If it does then any idea to avoid this and make the process faster

Any opinion, Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aktripathi2506,

According to your description, you want to choose which sheet to load when you Importing excel worksheet, right?

If it is a case, you can use query editor to achieve your requirement.

Steps:

I have three tables which import from excel workbook:

Capture4.PNG

Open the query editor, right-click on queries and cancel the “Enable load”:

Capture5.PNG

Click “Close & Apply”, the table which you cancel the load will disappear:

Capture6.PNG

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aktripathi2506,

According to your description, you want to choose which sheet to load when you Importing excel worksheet, right?

If it is a case, you can use query editor to achieve your requirement.

Steps:

I have three tables which import from excel workbook:

Capture4.PNG

Open the query editor, right-click on queries and cancel the “Enable load”:

Capture5.PNG

Click “Close & Apply”, the table which you cancel the load will disappear:

Capture6.PNG

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you don't need to import an entire ready-made data model from your excel sheet, but rather only need to load a table that's on one sheet, use the query editor to load it instead of importing the file. Get Data > Excel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Did you find the solution for excel case?

I have the same issue, but with a lot of worksheets, every time I need to refresh I have 365 worksheets with 4 sheet that is a lot of processing.

I tryed many workarounds but power query reads all the four sheets of each worksheet before filtering my sheet of interest.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have a solution for that problem? The accepted reply is not the answer to the question in my view (I have the same problem), it is not how to skip certain query from loading / refreshing, but how to make sure only single sheet is downloaded when reading from workbook containing multiple sheets.

I used edit query and if I select e.g. "Sheet1" in "Navigation" step, I still see Power BI "reads through" other sheets in this workbook, including some with "$". I think it slows down the refresh massively. What am I doing wrong?

Did you find the solution? I have exactly the same issue and agree, that accepted answer in this thread is not the solution for that particular issue...

I agree that this is not a solution, is there anything that can be done to get this resolved?

Let's say I want to extract 1 table from an enormous excel workbook.  Why do I see Power Query processing each and every sheet in that file in the bottom right-hand corner?

Did you find the solution?

I have the same issue, but with a lot of worksheets, every time I need to refresh I have 365 worksheets with 4 sheet that is a lot of processing.

I tryed many workarounds but power query reads all the four sheets of each worksheet before filtering my sheet of interest.

That is the way I import the worksheet from report view (Get data --> excel) is there any other way?

When I make any changes in query mode and then when I referesh, it also look into other worksheets.

For example I am having an excel filte with 4 work sheets (Sheet 1, Sheet 2, Sheet 3, Sheet 4)

But I need only one worksheet (say sheet 1)

I import this file by using get data then selecting excel.

But when I do changes in query mode and referesh the data source I also see the names of sheet 3 and sheet 4 although I havn't imported them.

It sounds like you have accidentally loaded the other sheets without realizing it. Perhaps you checked multiple sheets when you first tried to connect to the workbook. I just did a test against a workbook with two sheets and it only loads the one that I checked.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.