Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Importing an Excel 2013 powerpivot model and getting a strange error in dim date

Hi,

im a newbie in powerbi development ... can you help me out on these basic or not questions??

im importing an Excel 2013 file with a powerpivot model (which seems to be badly constructed/managed) and getting strange results in dim date, between other details, when i drag attributes/hierarchy in PowerBI Desktop, fully updated, after importing the model thourgh File-> Import-> Excel Content

While the original entries in the model appear like this one (attributes translated to english):

Cod_date 20020102

Date 2002-01-02

month 01

day 02 

year 2002

week s02

hierarchy calendar (year, month,date) 

This is what i see in PowerBI in the right area:

-Year appears with a small arrow in the simbol 

-the hierarchy appears with values in the lowest area of the object (represeting years ???), but month and day doesn't show nothing!

-day and month, isolated, show values that seem right

-date, which holds values like this 2002-01-02, doesn't show anything, appearing inside an "area" similar to the hierarchy's area. This should be related to the fact that when i've created a table with several attributes and inserted the date, PowerBI returns an error.

Other thing: this can't be right, date holds 2002-01-02 in PP model and in the data source, and in the report it internally holds a hierarchy with Year-Trimester-Month-date!?!?

To resume, an excel 2013 PP model that doesn't seem 100% well constructed, a succesfull content import, with strange aspects, mainly a date that seems to hold a hierarchy and returning an error when used in PowerBI tables?

EDIT:i've noticed that year is calculated as year([Date]), while month and day are straight values.

Also Year values appear in italic, while Week which is also a calculation appears normal?...

Cod_date and date appear in italic, and more important, values aren't continuous...

Can you help me out? TIA

To end, are there mandatory articles about using date dimension in PowerBI?

Regards

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.