Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eod122
Frequent Visitor

Importing a data model from Excel to PowerBi: Different results for measures

Hello everyone,

first post in this forum so I'm looking forward to some great discussions!

I succesfully imported a data model from Excel Powerpivot to PowerBi: Sales, customers, dates – a pretty simple setup. Everything’s fine after the import – all tables and relations are there, and most measures deliver the same results.

However, certain measures are providing different results in Powerpivot and PowerBi and I have no idea why…

Are there maybe

• any known bugs when importing data models from Excel
  • is DAX syntax slightly different for some formulas
  • or are there settings in PowerBi which can cause differences
  • or maybe additional settings that need to be applied to tables or relationsships?

One example of a measure that’s causing me trouble can be found below: „Customers who also bought the vear before“.

Delivers correct results in Excel, but very odd results in PBI.

Thanks for your help!

PowerPivot Table – this are the expected results:

pbsx.png

PowerBI – Totals and new customers are identical, „Customers who also bought the vear before“ is wrong and reactivated customers is also wrong (but this is a simple subtraction of Totals minus the other two measures).

pbis.png

This is the formula I’m using which is working fine in Excel Powerpivot but not in PBI:

Customers who also bought the vear before =
CALCULATE(

DISTINCTCOUNT(Sales[CustomerID]);Sales[Product]<>"Product3";Customer[Group]="Private";

FILTER(

VALUES( Customer[CustomerID] );

CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( Sales ) ) > 0

&& CALCULATE(

COUNTROWS(Sales);

FILTER( ALL( Date [Year] ); Date [Year] = MAX( Date [Year] ) - 1 )

) > 0

)

)

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @eod122 ,

In theory, it will be shown normally when we imporeted the model from Excel. And we use DAX to calculate both in Power BI and Excel. You can try the following formula firstly.

Customers who also bought the vear before =
var a = CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Sales ) ) 
var b =  CALCULATE (
                COUNTROWS ( Sales );
                FILTER ( ALL ( Date[Year] ); Date[Year] = MAX ( Date[Year] ) - 1 )
            )
return
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( Sales[CustomerID] );
    Sales[Product] <> "Product3";
    Customer[Group] = "Private";
    FILTER (
        VALUES ( Customer[CustomerID] );
        a >0 && b >  0
    )
)

If you can post a dummy file which we can test with that will help easier for us to solve it.  If you can't, please post some sample data.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply!

I wasn't exactly able to solve it with the formula you suggested, however after playing around a bit I found that 

"VALUES ( Sales[CustomerID])" instead of "VALUES ( Customer[CustomerID] )" did the job and delivered the expected results.

I'm fine with that but still struggle to understand why the formula is now giving the same results in PowerBi despite the difference to the original PowerPivot formula, and why the PowerpIvot formula creates unexpected results when being imported into PowerBi...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.