Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Darko_Giac
Helper II
Helper II

Importing Update Files from Folder Without Changing Sheet Name

Hi all, 

I'm currently working in Power Query and am exporting some survey data on a weekly basis to track the number of participants over the next month.

The variables in the export will not change from export to export, and since multiple files will live in the folder connected to power query, I have, through some great tips via this forum, been able to set up the connection so that it only pulls the most recent data export into excel.

However, each raw data export's sheet name will differ, and I was wondering if there is a way to by-pass that step. For instance, if one week, a file comes in with the sheet name "2018-11-01", but the following week's sheet is called "2018-11-02", I have to make sure that the sheet names are uniform across exports. Is there a way that power query can read in the updated data with different sheet names?

Thanks!

Darko

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Darko_Giac,

I would suggest we only change the necessary parts and leave the Power BI to generate other codes. The first line of your code can't run. It could be like below.

let
    Source = Folder.Files("D:\pbi_folder1"),
    #"D:\pbi_folder1\_ds xlsx" = Source{[#"Folder Path"="D:\pbi_folder1\",Name="ds.xlsx"]}[Content],
    #"Imported Excel" = Excel.Workbook(#"D:\pbi_folder1\_ds xlsx"),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Imported Excel", "Index", 0, 1),
    Sheet1_Sheet = #"Added Index"{[Index=0,Kind="Sheet"]}[Data]
in
    Sheet1_Sheet

Screen-Capture-11-6-2018-11-09-00-AM

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Darko,

There is a workaround which is almost elegant. Because the source is identified by name. We have to change it with other column having unique values. For example, an index column. 

If one file only has one sheet, that would be easy. Or you can find a way to make it easy to identify.

1. In the second step, add an index row. 

2. Change the code in the Advanced Editor like below.

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("D:\data_source\ds2.xlsx"), null, true),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(Source, "Index", 0, 1),
    Sheet1_Sheet = #"Added Index"{[Index=0,Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Name_Site", type text}, {"Name_Event", type text}, {"Date", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Importing-Update-Files-from-Folder-Without-Changing-Sheet-Name

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the response Dale!

I'm still having some issues getting this to work though. I noticed your solution was pulling from a workbook, but I would need to pull from a folder.

I'm trying to get the query below to work:

let
Source = Folder.Files(File.Contents("C:\PowerTracking\PracticeFolder), null, true),
#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(Source, "Index", 0, 1),
Sheet1_Sheet = #"Added Index"{[Index=0,Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Response ID", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type"

But running into the error:

Expression.SyntaxError: Token Comma expected (afterwhich it highlights the third line (#"Added Index")

Hi @Darko_Giac,

I would suggest we only change the necessary parts and leave the Power BI to generate other codes. The first line of your code can't run. It could be like below.

let
    Source = Folder.Files("D:\pbi_folder1"),
    #"D:\pbi_folder1\_ds xlsx" = Source{[#"Folder Path"="D:\pbi_folder1\",Name="ds.xlsx"]}[Content],
    #"Imported Excel" = Excel.Workbook(#"D:\pbi_folder1\_ds xlsx"),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Imported Excel", "Index", 0, 1),
    Sheet1_Sheet = #"Added Index"{[Index=0,Kind="Sheet"]}[Data]
in
    Sheet1_Sheet

Screen-Capture-11-6-2018-11-09-00-AM

Best Regards,
Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.