Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lastnn30
Post Patron
Post Patron

Importing Stock Data into Power BI recomendation

Hi

I want to get data from a website which has all stocks and then using Power BI, I will create visuals to show Top 10 stocks in term of price, volume, active, decline etc and some other analysis. I want to do this as project to learn about Power BI and getting date from the internet. I am trying to avoid DAX for now since I am not that familiar yet. Do you recomend any website I can get data from or do you recomend any source file I can learn from. Thank you so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @lastnn30 

What you are asking is quite involved for someone starting out, but do-able.

These articles show you how to create finance/stock dashboards in Excel.  

Personal Stock Portfolio Dashboard • My Online Training Hub

Interactive Personal Finance Dashboard • My Online Training Hub

Whilst they are created in Excel, the techniques used will teach you about getting and presenting data.

If you want to fetch data from websites via API, or scrape them, these articles look at that.  Both use Power Query and/or Power BI Desktop

Getting Started with API's in Power Query • My Online Training Hub

Scrape Data from Multiple Web Pages with Power Query • My Online Training Hub

Excel supports getting stock data directly into teh worksheet.  But if you are using PBI you will need to load data from somewhere like Yahoo Finance, the ASX, NASDAQ websites etc.  Just search for stock price data and there will be many results to choose from.  

Historical data is usually free to use.  If you want real-time (live) data, you will have to pay for that.

regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @lastnn30 

What you are asking is quite involved for someone starting out, but do-able.

These articles show you how to create finance/stock dashboards in Excel.  

Personal Stock Portfolio Dashboard • My Online Training Hub

Interactive Personal Finance Dashboard • My Online Training Hub

Whilst they are created in Excel, the techniques used will teach you about getting and presenting data.

If you want to fetch data from websites via API, or scrape them, these articles look at that.  Both use Power Query and/or Power BI Desktop

Getting Started with API's in Power Query • My Online Training Hub

Scrape Data from Multiple Web Pages with Power Query • My Online Training Hub

Excel supports getting stock data directly into teh worksheet.  But if you are using PBI you will need to load data from somewhere like Yahoo Finance, the ASX, NASDAQ websites etc.  Just search for stock price data and there will be many results to choose from.  

Historical data is usually free to use.  If you want real-time (live) data, you will have to pay for that.

regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

I think you are right. I am not 100% ready for API etc. but you reply and the links will be a good start for me. So I would like to thank you a lot for that. Thanks once again. I appreciate it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.