Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

research3keel
Frequent Visitor

Importing Google Maps/Fusion Tables into PowerBI - via ShapeFiles.

So I'm having trouble importing a map from Google Maps + Fusion Tables into Power BI. It is a map of 125 routes in the UK from 125 different destinations to the same 1 final destination. I've attached some photos in the various stages of processing it, and what I want. Also the original files can be found here if people want to attempt this themselves: https://drive.google.com/open?id=15gOY3JV_rn9QB2K_bpOAMsNcQJwukYD4

Basically when I import into PowerBI, it looks like a mess and there is no real meaning to it.

What I've done:

1. Create these maps in Fusion Tables and export as Shapefile.
  2. Import Shapefile into MapShaper and overlay map of the UK. use -proj wgs84 command as I saw this in another forum.
  3. Export both my map and the UK map together as a topoJSON.
  4. Import a custom Shape map into PowerBI. One thing I'm not sure to do here is what do I put in the "Location" Field of this Shape Map? I just arbitrarly dragged in the "Name" column of my JSON but I don't understand what this means.

Any help would be very much appreciated!! If there's a faster way to incorporate kml files into PowerBI then I would love to hear that too.

Attached images of my steps and what I want:

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 16.30.11.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-19 at 16.29.32.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-19 at 16.28.40.png

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@research3keel,

You may take a look at links below.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Sam,

I've tried both already, to no avail. I've done a fair bit of researching around and seems like either no one has had this exact issue or they haven't found a solution that works.

Could you potentially give it a go using the files I've attached and see if you encounter the same issues?

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
Shape map work with polygons not points, so I think that shape map is not right for your needs.
Have you tried with mapbox o esri map?
Note: when u use a shape map in location u have to put a field corresponding to map keys

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.