Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

arielfilipa
Helper I
Helper I

Import several excel files from a folder

Hi,

I've starting using Power BI Desktop and using Get Data - Excel file option I've upload several Excel files.

Instead of uploading each file individually I would like to upload the folder itself, however WITHOUT combining the files.

The files have similar sctruture but each files have columns that are just related to that specific file.

Is there a way to do this ?

The plan is that I can used the folder for a data gateway, since now I cannot do it due to I have several excel files

Thanks,

Filipa

5 REPLIES 5
bdymit
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hello,

There is a "Get Data from Folder" option, and I tested with my own data to see if you can combine files with varying numbers of columns, and you can.

You mentioned that you are not combining the files though... so I don't understand what your end goal is with the "Data Gateway"?

Can you further clarify your goal?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi @bdymit,

I don't want to use the gateway for schedule refresh. Is there in the possibility to pull many excel file and schedule refresh in power bi service without using gateway?

Regards,

Arvind

@arvindyadav,

If your excel files are saved in an on-premises location, you need a gateway (either personal or enterprise) to have any sort of refresh (scheduled or not.) 

If your files are saved in SharePoint, then a gateway is not needed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-excel-file-onedrive

Thanks,

Ben

Hi @bdymit,

Can you please show me the steps I am using Onedrive personal I have uploaded one excel file in power bi desktop from drive What I have to do further if I want to add next excel file into that folder will that combine with previous excel and give me the entire data. If yes, Then please show me the steps.

Thanks & Regards,

Arvind.

Hi Ben,

Each Excel that I have gives information for a different Indicator with a specific calculation method and combining all the files changes the information of each indicator.

My goal is to be able to add a data source to the gateway so I can make a schedule refresh automatically and I was checking if it was possible to change the data source in Power BI desktop so I just have one data source in the gateway.

Otherwise, I think that I will need to add all my Excel files as data sources in the gateway to work.

Most probably, I will need to add all files as data sources.

Thanks,

Filipa

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.