Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Import "SQL Server Synonyms" in the data model

We use SQL server synonyms to refer to views in order to decouple view versions from the query layer.

These SQL Server synonyms do not show up in the editor to add data. The synonyms are named dbo.[nameofthesynonym]

As a workaround I added the view and afterwards tried to refer to the synonym via the advanced editor via edit queries but it did not help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on test, current you can only use advanced t-sql query to get data from synonyms table, it is impossible to direct use navigate to get data.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

I don't think you can import sql server synonyms relationship model to power bi. If you meant import synonyms tables to power bi, that is possible.

Power bi has its synonyms feature but it only works for Q&A features, I don't think it means you can use synonyms on relationship and data mode analysis.

Power BI Synonyms, Take Q&A Experience to the Next Level

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thank you for your reply.

I want to import Synonym tables, so in SQL Server you have the option to create synonyms which are views or tables and can be placed under another name in the schema. We use it for our data layer for instance to create a synonym upon another databases table or view and fetch the replicated table/view in a synonymCapture.PNG

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on test, current you can only use advanced t-sql query to get data from synonyms table, it is impossible to direct use navigate to get data.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi, @v-shex-msft what do you mean with advance sql?
I would like to use synonimus as it were a table, isn't that possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft , has any progress been made on enabling this? "It doesn't do it" really isn't a solution.

It's very frustrating that every BI tool for the last 20 years has been able to hit synonyms, but Power BI seems unable to do it when connecting to Microsoft's own database. This isn't rocket science - it just needs to see the synonyms, and then write queries against them using exactly the same SQL as if it were a table or view.

I'll open a premier ticket to try to get this addressed.

Thanks,

Scott

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.