Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Import from SSAS Tabular to PowerBI desktop very slow

We have to import data containing around 500K rows from SSAS tabular to a powerBI model. We can't use live connection as we need data from a couple of other sources. My problem is, this import process is significantly slow compared to when we retrieve the same amount of data from the same SSAS tabular model using an Excel pivot table. Has anyone else run into this issue?

6 REPLIES 6
rammishra
Helper II
Helper II

I also face the same problem. It takes ages for Power BI to load the data in Power Query (Import mode) when I connect it to Analysis Services databases. Once the data are imported, Power BI is quite fast.

PaulKn
Advocate II
Advocate II

@Anonymous Did you ever find a way to improve the speed of data import? We are in a similar situation where we are considering using data import from an Azure Analysis Services model so that we can combine it with data from other sources, but it is painfully slow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @PaulKn ,

No, unfortunately not. I have instead pulling the data from the underlying SQL server tables which is definitely not ideal. I have a meeting with someone from Microsoft on Friday. Will let you know if I find a solution.

Sharmin

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I would suggest you go through this article and try to optimize reports then test again: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-reports-performance.

And there is a blog to analyze the report performance in DAX Studio you can reference.

Best Regards,

Xue

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-xuding-msft ,

The links you provided to me are about improving the performance of the powerBI report. But that's not my problem. My powerBI report is fairly fast once the data is loaded. Only the data import from SSAS tabular database is slow. I can use a pivot table to retrieve the same amount of data from the SSAS tabular database and it's pretty quick, but when I pull that same amount of data into PowerBI using the Import function, it's takes a lot longer.

I've been searching for this topic, which I think is also my issue.  Loading in/refreshing SSAS imported/query data is very slow.  Once in the rpeort/loaded, it runs fairly well. 

Any refresh of your SSAS query from the tabular model is very slow.  For me anyway, even transforming a small SSAS query table in PQ takes ages. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.