Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ontario234
Helper I
Helper I

Import data from access database that uses ODBC connection

Hi,

I have access database that uses ODBC connection to extract data which is stored in the SQL server. I installed power BI desktop and need to import data from this access database. How can i achieve this? I was able to connect to SQL server directly using "ODBC" as data source however I DO NOT want to connect to SQL server directly. I need to extract the same data from access database since my access database is well establised and contains 100s of queries that I use everyday. Please help.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@ontario234

You just need to create a DSN opening connection to Access Database with Access Driver.

Capture.PNG

Then get data from ODBC in Power BI Desktop and select that created DSN.

Regards,

Hello again,

I was able to create the system DSN (the one that you indicated) however, it did not solve my issue. The access database that i need to import in power BI is itself extracting the data from SQL server via ODBC connection. The following is the error i am getting when i try to load the data from my access database in power BI desktop. Help please..Thanks in advance
Inline image 1

@ontario234 so are you saying you are pulling from a sql database through access to power bi?

your image is broken

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Yes. I don't have SQL server on my computer. I use access to extract data from SQL server database and my access in well established with number of queries that i use everyday. This is the reason i need to import access database in power BI so i could use the already built queries to create graphs and all sorts of other analysis. Thx

Below is the error i am getiing when i try to load data from access database(mentioned in the post above) in power BI

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] ODBC--connection to 'Sql Server' failed.
Details:
    DataSourceKind=Odbc
    DataSourcePath=dsn=access2
    OdbcErrors=Table

I am having a very similar problem...has this issue been solved?

Many thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.