Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Import data from 32bit Access to 64bit PBI

Hi, 

I am trying to import data into my report from an Access query on a network drive. I am gettting this error

Details: "Microsoft Access: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine. The 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine OLEDB provider may be required to read 'HTI_Claims_System.accdb'. To download the client software, visit the following site: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285987."

I don't really want to change my PBI installation to 32bit because it's a crucial time for report development at the moment, so not the time to be trying out different installs of pbi. also, I assume the 64bit install is preferable so it's seems like overkill to change that for one datasource.

I've tried importing the data into an Excel file and uploading to excel online file and setting up an automated refresh using Power Flow but that won't allow refresh to an external datasource/network drive.

If anyone can help with a simple solution to get the access data into my report it'd be much appreciated, 

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Power BI porvided several soultions might help you. For more details please check the document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-access-database-errors#situation-2-the-access-database-engine-bit-version-32-bit-or-64-bit-is-different-from-your-power-bi-desktop-bit-version 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that. I've seen that document - i'm not that keen on changing my pbi desktop to the 32-bit version - it feels like overkill to do that for just one small datasource. I can't change the bit-version of Microsoft Office, so that just leaves me with option 4, which the document says isn't recommended and sounds like it could introduce problems elsewhere.

I've tried connecting excel (32bit) to the access query, and importing that into pbi, which does work (despite the different bit rates of Excel and PBI). However, i need that Excel datasource refreshing every night, which needs the file to be open.

I then tried uploading the spreadsheet to onedrive and set up a flow in Power Automate to refresh the data, but that doesn't work with external datasource like this Access one.  

I feel like there must be a simpler solution that i'm missing. Do you know if there any issues with changing my pbi desktop to 32-bit? If that has no negative consequences, maybe I could try that but i'm wary of introducing problems elsewhere. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

The application is the same but the processing performance is superior in 64 bit. At some point with large data models (eg in the millions of rows), 32 bit will most likely stop responding.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

This looks like someone has accepted a solution, but I still have the issue and i don't want to go down the 32-bit route because we have some very large datasets. If anyone has any experience with this issue advice would be much appreciated. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thanks. so that's no good for me - i guess i can try going down the excel overnight refresh route but as i mentioned, i can't do this via power automate and excel online. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.