Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Import Query and Direct Query

Hi

I need help to for Direct query.I am using Direct query and I  need to add new column for DAX function Expression can you please me how to use DAX function in Direct Query mode becase Direct query mode data model is not avalable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

The DateDiff() function is supported in DirectQuery, please update your desktop to the latest June version then test again. 

q5.PNG

Also you can calcualte the date difference in T-SQL queruy as I suggested before: 

q6.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

From this article, you can see there is a limitation of calculated column in DirectQuery mode: 

• Limitations in calculated columns: Calculated columns are limited to being intra-row, as in, they can only refer to values of other columns of the same table, without the use of any aggregate functions. Additionally, the DAX scalar functions (such as LEFT()) that are allowed, will be limited to those which can simply be pushed to the underlying source, hence will vary depending upon the exact capabilities of the source. Functions that are not supported will not be listed in autocomplete when authoring the DAX for a calculated column, and would result in an error if used.

In your scenario, it depends on which logic you would like use for calculated column. If you want to use aggregate functions, eg: Average, Sum which are not supported in DirectQuery. You can try to specify the calculated column in T-SQL query when get data. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun Yu

Thank you for your help .But I need to use DAX Function like Date and Time Function,Time Intelligence Fuction,Filter Function,Logical Function this functions using with DirectQuery becase my comapny report requiered calculated function and they wants live data and Data will be update every 15 min thats why I am using Direct Query.

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, most of Date and Time Function,Time Intelligence Function,Filter Function,Logical Function is supported in DirectQuery, you can click New Column button then type desired function, if it's available in prompt dropdown list, then it's supported to use this function. Otherwise, it's not able to use it. 

q6.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Qiuyun Yu ,

Yes, You are right and but I need calculated column in Direct Query mode. year support but I need different function use for my report . I still getting error below image.Capture_DAX_function_error.PNG

Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous,

The DateDiff() function is supported in DirectQuery, please update your desktop to the latest June version then test again. 

q5.PNG

Also you can calcualte the date difference in T-SQL queruy as I suggested before: 

q6.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.