Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Import PowerBI Desktop to PowerBI Online Datasets

Hi all,

I've done all the work on PowerBI Desktop. It is able to publish to PowerBI online. 

In My Workspace> Dashboard (has my report)

In My Workspace> Reports (has my report)

In My Workspace> Workbooks (No workbooks)

In My Workspace> Datasets (has my report, but it's blank)

I would like to schedule autorefresh, but I think it is only doable from Datasets. The Datasets show my report name but it is a blank sheet.

Can anyone please advise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Wickin
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Anonymous,

Datasets always show blank pages, as there are no visuals in there. Visuals are only shown for the pages you mentioned: Reports and optionally dashboards on top of it.

To setup a refresh schedule, you'll need to click the three dots next to your dataset name and then hit "Schedule Refresh".

You'll be redirected to a page where you can find all the required settings.

To be able to refresh your data from an on-premise data source, you'll need an On-premise Data Gateway installed, to refresh (publish) your data to the cloud. When you aren't using an on-premise data source (for example SharePoint Online), there's no gateway required.

More info on Gateways and refreshing your data: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-getting-started

Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

After you publish, the report name on the dataset, it is actually not your report, dataset is not equal to report, but a dataset that being used by your report. 

when you clicked the report name on the dataset, it leads you into a blank page, in this page is for you to create a new report or  only to visualize the data using the same dataset that used by your existing report so you can query and display the data by pulling it into report visualization, that's why it leads you into report creation.

to schedule refresh, click the workspace -> datasets -> on the dataset name, choose '...' option -> settings -> find the schedule refresh tab where you can set the refresh schedule

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply @Wickin and @Anonymous.

Is there a way for me to copy the existing visualisations on my report into dataset?

Or I'll have to set up the visualisation from scratch 😕 ?

Hi @Anonymous,

Actually, we can't copy or create something into a dataset. We will create a new report based on the dataset. There could be several ways you can try. 

1. Copy the report directly by "Save As".

2. Copy the visuals into a new report directly by "Ctrl + c" and "Ctrl + v" if they have the same dataset.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Wickin
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Anonymous,

Datasets always show blank pages, as there are no visuals in there. Visuals are only shown for the pages you mentioned: Reports and optionally dashboards on top of it.

To setup a refresh schedule, you'll need to click the three dots next to your dataset name and then hit "Schedule Refresh".

You'll be redirected to a page where you can find all the required settings.

To be able to refresh your data from an on-premise data source, you'll need an On-premise Data Gateway installed, to refresh (publish) your data to the cloud. When you aren't using an on-premise data source (for example SharePoint Online), there's no gateway required.

More info on Gateways and refreshing your data: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-getting-started

Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.