Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anhngv
Helper III
Helper III

Import Power BI file into another Power BI file

Hi,

Is there any way to get data from another Power BI file?

I have a Power BI file that imports data from a SQL server, which required credentials to log in. The problem is I don't have sign-in for that server, but I want to use the data of the file.

So how can I import data of a Power BI file to another one?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

you could upload it as a dataset into the service and import the data from the dataset

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
anhngv
Helper III
Helper III

So sad to hear that, I hope MS team will make an update that we can get data from another power BI file soon. It may sound nonsense but sometimes we may not be allowed to access a database directly.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

you could upload it as a dataset into the service and import the data from the dataset

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

@vanessafvg 

Because the source file is not published nor scheduled refreshing (we use it in LAN network only), I have to re-upload the file every time it is refreshed before refreshing my file.

It's OK but I wonder whether there is an easier way to directly import or query the source file's data into my Power BI file?

Thanks

you going to need access to the source then unfortunately, no othe way that i know of.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.