Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matt_Alexander
Advocate III
Advocate III

Import Mode queries DB during manipulation in query editor?

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone could confirm my thoughts on this one: I'm using Desktop to connect to an Azure SQL Database through Import Mode so I:

1) Connect to the DB

2) Choose the tables or views I that contain the data for the report

3) Reduce the columns down to just what I need for the report.

Up till then all good, but then, for example, if I want to calculate Age from DateOfBirth column, using the Date>Age function under the Transform tab, it communicates back to the DB for some reason and takes about 5 minutes to do.. what? I though that the whole point was that you import the date and then manipulate it in-memory but by the looks of things this isn't the case. I could understand that once you've finished in Query Editor and you 'Close & Apply' it might need to update the date...

Why does PBI go back to the DB in this case?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Matt_Alexander,

Based on my understanding, each time when a transformation, or step, is applied to the data in Query Editor, the corresponding M query will be executed against the DB. You can view the applied steps under the Applied Steps section of the Query Settings pane.

If you want all the steps to be applied only when you click 'Close & Apply' instead of applying every steps during manipulation in Query Editor, you can write all the transformations using the M Language (which is how Query Editor records steps in the background), using Query Editor’s Advanced EditorSmiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Matt_Alexander,

Based on my understanding, each time when a transformation, or step, is applied to the data in Query Editor, the corresponding M query will be executed against the DB. You can view the applied steps under the Applied Steps section of the Query Settings pane.

If you want all the steps to be applied only when you click 'Close & Apply' instead of applying every steps during manipulation in Query Editor, you can write all the transformations using the M Language (which is how Query Editor records steps in the background), using Query Editor’s Advanced EditorSmiley Happy

Regards

OK thanks for the information @v-ljerr-msft

Shame it doesn't 'cache' the changes and then apply them when 'Close & Apply' is clicked!

Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.