Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robofski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Import Folder long path

Hi,

I am trying to use Import - Folder to pull a list of files in a folder/sub folders so I can do some analysis of the file types and where they are stored.  I'm running into an issue where there are stupid long file paths:

DataFormat.Error: The file name '\\server\share\folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\*' is longer than the system-defined maximum length.

I tried using "replace errors" in the query editor but that didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @robofski ,

1. Create a parameter in Power query make the parameter is \\server\share\folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder.

2. Edit the M code in your Advanced editor to replace the file pate to parameter.

let
    Source = Folder.Files(""&Parameter1),
    #"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File from New folder", each #"Transform File from New folder"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File from New folder"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from New folder", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File from New folder"(#"Sample File"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Date", type date}, {"cat", type text}, {"Sales", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"
Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @robofski ,

1. Create a parameter in Power query make the parameter is \\server\share\folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder.

2. Edit the M code in your Advanced editor to replace the file pate to parameter.

let
    Source = Folder.Files(""&Parameter1),
    #"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File from New folder", each #"Transform File from New folder"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File from New folder"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File from New folder", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File from New folder"(#"Sample File"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Date", type date}, {"cat", type text}, {"Sales", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"
Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi, I created the parameter and pasted the M code in the advanced editor. I get another error then: 

DataCruncher123_0-1604169260239.png

Can you help me with that? 🙂

I have the same problem but sadly this solution does not work for me. 

it´s like the small link is always the same

\\server\share\folder\another folder\another folder 

and than comes long link with different folders

\folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder\another folder.....

so even with Parameter its too long.

need Halp

I would like to combine Excel files from different folders as a one list. 

Hi Nodari

I amalso struggling with this as the proposed solution is not working for me.

Just wondering if you have managed to find a solution?

Many thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

The same for me. was there any other solution?

The same also for me. Still looking for a proper solution as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.