Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ontario234
Helper I
Helper I

Import Data from Access that uses ODBC connection

Hi,

I have MS access database that extracts data from SQL server using ODBC connection. I need to import this database in Power BI desktop. How can i achieve this? I DO NOT want to directly query or import data from SQL server since my access database is well established and contains all the queries and sub queries that I need. Help Please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ontario234,

In Power BI desktop, to get data from Access database, you can use Access Database data source below:

q5.PNG

As this connector use Access Database Engine, you need to install Access Database Engine version, either 32-bit or 64-bit, that matches your Power BI Desktop version. See: Resolve issues importing Access and .XLS files in Power BI Desktop.

By the way, use SQL Server database in Power BI desktop, we can also specify the T-SQL query.

q6.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ontario234,

In Power BI desktop, to get data from Access database, you can use Access Database data source below:

q5.PNG

As this connector use Access Database Engine, you need to install Access Database Engine version, either 32-bit or 64-bit, that matches your Power BI Desktop version. See: Resolve issues importing Access and .XLS files in Power BI Desktop.

By the way, use SQL Server database in Power BI desktop, we can also specify the T-SQL query.

q6.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The option that you suggest requires the use of M code if you want to extract data from de raw data, you can´t use SQL.

An alternative that works is the use of a connection via "ole db" :

provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=YouDB;
Jet OLEDB:Database Password=1234;

I currently have this issue as well. When trying to run a query as I would in Access, I get an error and the query returns no results. I have the connectors installed.

(I inherited a large Access DB that uses ODBC that I have minimal knowledge of. I'm trying to set up a dashboard).

PowerBi Query Failure.jpg

How would I go about using the queries? For example, the SQL query for this is:
SELECT [LNAME] & ", " & [FNAME] & " " & [MI] AS CLIENT, dbo_Daycareschedule.STARTDTE, dbo_Daycareschedule.ENDDTE, dbo_Daycareschedule.SERVDESC, dbo_Grant.GAGENCY, dbo_Daycareschedule.MON, dbo_Daycareschedule.TUE, dbo_Daycareschedule.WED, dbo_Daycareschedule.THU, dbo_Daycareschedule.FRI
FROM (dbo_Climas INNER JOIN dbo_Daycareschedule ON dbo_Climas.CLIENTID = dbo_Daycareschedule.CLIENTID) INNER JOIN dbo_Grant ON dbo_Daycareschedule.GRANT = dbo_Grant.GID
GROUP BY [LNAME] & ", " & [FNAME] & " " & [MI], dbo_Daycareschedule.STARTDTE, dbo_Daycareschedule.ENDDTE, dbo_Daycareschedule.SERVDESC, dbo_Grant.GAGENCY, dbo_Daycareschedule.MON, dbo_Daycareschedule.TUE, dbo_Daycareschedule.WED, dbo_Daycareschedule.THU, dbo_Daycareschedule.FRI, dbo_Climas.CLIENTID
HAVING (((dbo_Daycareschedule.STARTDTE) Is Not Null) AND ((dbo_Daycareschedule.ENDDTE) Is Null) AND ((dbo_Daycareschedule.SERVDESC)="Adult Daycare" Or (dbo_Daycareschedule.SERVDESC)="Adult Day Health Care" Or (dbo_Daycareschedule.SERVDESC)="Extended"))
ORDER BY [LNAME] & ", " & [FNAME] & " " & [MI];

MS Access data sources do not currently have a supported data gateway allowing scheduled refresh.  However, ODBC does.  If there is a back door to using the ODBC data source with MS Access I would like to know about it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.