Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Implicit vs explicit measures and records

Hi

I've watched a video saying that it is always recommended that one uses explicit meassures rather than implicit.

My problem is that when I use explicit measaures, I loose the ability to drill down to specific records. For example, assume that a table has

<customer>, <sales_value>

I do a pivot table to have the average_sales_value per customer using the <sales_value> field of the table, I can right click on each value and have the option to see the specific records that drive that value.

HOWEVER, if I define an explicit record i.e. AVG_sales_Value = AVERAGE([sales_value]) and drag that meassure in the pivot table, then the option "show records" is not available!!

Is there a solution for that? diging to specific records when analysing data is essential in order to understand outliers.

thank you in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Hmm, you are correct. What video were you watching? I'm guessing that it is a "best practice" because of one or two specific scenarios that probably aren't covered by what you are doing.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm referring to this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A95nqPLdmRU&t=347s

is there a way to be able to display records when using an explicit filter? There are cases when the meassure is more complicated and one can't get away with the implicit meassure 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.