Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Bbrown44
Advocate II
Advocate II

Implement both RLS and OLS together issue

Hello, I tried to implement OLS on a model where I have successfully implemented RLS, and when I tried to implement it leveraging the external tool Tabular Editor 2.16.6.  I got the following error when I tried to save my OLS security configuration on a table.

OLS issue.JPG

Does anyone have ideas on how best to implement both RLS and OLS?

3 REPLIES 3
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bbrown44 ,

Actually RLS can be developed on Power BI dekstop.  RLS and OLS work in a completely different way – not only because you can’t configure OLS from Power BI itself (unlike RLS) – but more because of the manner that they “hide” the data from the users: with RLS, objects still exist in the model, while with OLS they are completely omitted!

More details: Mastering DP-500 Exam: Design Row-level and Object-level Security in Power BI 

It would be good if a solution could address metadata security without limiting or breaking the visualizations that use that data. Please vote here: Metadata security without limiting visualizations 

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't know that you can actually combine RLS and OLS that way, but I'll admit I'm out of my depth as this is a fairly obscure use case (I don't think OLS has seen a lot of use in Power BI yet, let alone combined with RLS). Hopefully someone else will chime in, but in the meantime this video looks like a good resource for you to review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Oi3kz8ibk

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Found a bug where if your table has a date format embedded in the table, OLS will throw an error when you try to save your security configuration in Tabular Editor... I put in a PBI Support ticket and through messing with different tables landed on the fact that date format creates hidden tables (I think for Time Intelligence) which OLS does not like. Hopefully, this can be fixed in a future update.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.