Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CW112358
Helper II
Helper II

Images that can change depending on selection of filter

Let's say I have 100 images of birds on my desktop and I make a Power Bi that has statistics of various birds, etc. and everytime I click one of the birds, I want it to show the image.  I was googling and it said use a url but I never found out how to do that.  Does anyone know how to do this?

7 REPLIES 7
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CW112358

Click on the pic of bird>go to "format image">switch action to "on">click on the dropdown list of "type" and choose "web URL",add the URL of the image you need to the blanks.

Annotation 2020-02-28 110554.pngAnnotation 2020-02-28 110650.pngAnnotation 2020-02-28 110915.png

Finally "ctrl+click "the bird to turn the pic you need.

Annotation 2020-02-28 111019.png

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Not quite what I want.   Say I have a folder on my local drive C:\ called State_Birds so C:\Projects\State_Birds and in Power Bi, I have graphics that I want to change when I choose a different state in a filter button so if i choose Montana, the image with the graphics all change to the western meadowlark and if I change to Florida, its the northern mockingbird, etc.  So the url paths change when I change the filter from state to state, does that make sense?

Hi @CW112358

Got it now ,then you can turn to the reference:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-images-tables#considerations

I guess it would help.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Almost except our files are confidential so we can't put them on the internet somewhere to get a URL, instead they have to live locally on a C drive on our laptops or on our companies drive.  Is there a way to put the images at a location on my laptop and have a URL for the image.

Hi @CW112358 ,

Have you tried what i have suggested in the last reply?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Yes it didn't work.  It will do one image but I can't get it to use the filter and have the image change when its on my C drive on my laptop.  Reading further it says at least in 2018 that it couldn't be done in Power Bi....looking at seeing if I can just add all 60 images as photos inside a table.

Hi @CW112358 ,

I've checked this blog and seems it would help to realize what you need,but based on my test,it doestnt work,I'm checking about the reason,so would you pls first take a try:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/#urlTables

Link%20to%20Local%20file%20rather%20than%20a%20WEB%20URL.jpg

Make sure to replace in Power Query every "\" with "/" and every " "(space) with "%20",

An example:

file://D:/Dropbox/CONTACTOS%20&%20CLIENTES/CENACE/Reglamento%20interno%20GRUPO%20CENACE%20COLABORATIVA%20.pdf

Best Regards,
Kelly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.