Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matt22365
Resolver III
Resolver III

Image Visualisation not showing the full picture

Hi

Does anyone know whether you can change the properties of the image visualisation to always show the full picture? I have different size picture files which are being displayed in a report, however the visualisation only shows a small area of the picture.

Thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Cherry

My issue has been fixed. The Image visual is set up to always ratio the picture to the width rather than the height. this means that you will always be able to see the full width of the picture, but not always the height.

To fix this and get the desired effect, I created a 13cm x 13cm white square in powerpoint, overlayed each of my pictures on this square (ensuring the full picture fit in the box) and saved the square and image as a new picture. This forces the visual to be as wide as the white square and, as all the image is within the square, i see the full image on all pictures.

Thanks for all your help

Matt

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using binary, and I had the same problem as you. But the solution of resizing it to 13cmx13cm didn't work for all my pictures. =(

So, after a lot of tests, I understood that the biggest problem was the file size.

It was cropping pictures bigger than 25kb, so I needed to adjust for the image never goes over 25kb.

I know it was solved for you, but maybe this information can help someone else in the future 😃

Hi, deborasguimas

Thank you for your comment.  

I develop a tool to solve the local image visualization problem. It compacts the images size and converts images to base64 codes.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/A-batch-conversion-tool-for-displaying-local-image-in-Power...

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Matt22365,

I have made a test on the Power BI Desktop (Version: 2.59.5135.781 64-bit (June 2018)), everything works as expected.

Could you show your issue with screenshot? Normally, we could set the properties of the image visualisation  under Format image.

image.PNG

I would appreciate if you could share a dummy pbix file which can reproduce the issue, so that we can help further investigate on it? You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Cherry

Thanks for getting back to me. Attached is a screenshot of the issue, I created a blank BI report due to the senstitivity of the data with the image visual at the same size as my report so it is representative. The image should be 3 items, however, as you can see it is only showing 1 and a half.

I will try and get a version uploaded however my dropbox and onedrive are both full so i will need some time to clear one of them.

Also, as a side note, I can only see the pictures on the online version, not the desktop. IsCapture.PNG this usual?

Thanks for your help

Matt

Hi @Matt22365,

Do you have this issue for all images or the single one?

If it is convenient, could you share the image URL which could reproduce this issue, so that I can have a test?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

The issue of them not appearing on the desktop version happens on all pictures

When published I can see the pictures but about half of them cut off portions of the picture in the report, as per the previous example. The full picture is there, as I can see it when you expand the visual, however I need the full picture to be visable in the report.

I cannot share the picture due to our computer security policy but you can recreate the example by getting 3 random images from google, stacking them on top of each other in powerpoint, saving all 3 as 1 picture then try to link to this file in BI

Thanks for your help

Matt

Hi @Matt22365,

I have a made a test with your description, creating a picture with three images in PowerPoint and save it in my device.

Then I upload it to OneDrive and get the image URL to Power BI Desktop.

Here is my test result in Power BI Desktop. The left is image visual and the right is the Muti-Row Card visual with image URL.

Capture.PNG

Here is my test result in Power BI Service.

Untitled.png

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce your scenario, it may caused by your special image URL.

I would appreciate it if you could share your dummy image URL which could reproduce this issue.

Here is my image URL , you also could have a test.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Hi

I tried youre URL and I can view the picture in the desktop version. however I can still only see part of the picture without increasing the size of the visual. Picture attached.

I will not be able to share the current URL with you due to my companies security policies and I also cannot seem to get BI to display pictures not on my sharepoint/business onedrive. However I have attached a link to it on my personal account to see if you can use it URL

Not being able to see the picture in the desktop version is something I can work around as it will be the online version which will be shared with my stakeholders. The main issue is not being able to view the full picture in the small are i have reserved for a visual in my report

Thank you for your helpPicture1.png

Matt

Hi @Matt22365,

I have made a test with your URL, but I still cannot reproduce your issue.

Here is the test result in Power BI Service. I have tested with Multi-Row card visual, table visual and image visualizations.

Capture.PNG

It seems that this issue is not caused by the image URL.

What browser do you use? You may clear the cache of your browser or have a test with other Browsers , such as Google Chrome.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Hi

I cannot find the multi-row card visual you have used, however if you look at the image in a table you get this.....

project picture.png

When I publish the report I can see the image, and if I increase the size of the visual box I can see the full image so I dont think the issue is with the URL. However, the biggest I can have the visual on the page is 279 (width) and 230 (height) so making the visual bigger is not an option. What I need to do is wrap the image to fit completely in this area

Unfortunately I cannot use Chrome as we are only able to use IE in my organisation.

Thanks

Matt

Hi @Matt22365,

Unfortunately, I still cannot reproduce your issue. By my test, I also could see the images using IE browser.

Could you share the test pbix with the URL I shared with you before, so that I could see the issue in my site? You can upload it to your private OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

Best Regards,

Cherry

Hi Cherry

I have attached your url to my desktop version and it is showinng some of the picture rather than the error, however it is still not wrapped so I can see the whole picture without increasing the size of the box

This is a link to my test page https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApcBQFPIl3CrbLz2DntEgFJ5Kwc

Let me know if you have any luck

Thanks

Matt

Hi @Matt22365,

From your example pbix, it seems that you used the custom visual to show the image and you get this issue that only show part of picture.

You'd better to contact the support of this custom visual to get further help.

As a workaround, you could use the visuals in Power BI, such as table, matrix which could show the full image and you could format the table to be what you want to show.

Untitled.png

Best Regards,

Cherry

Hi Cherry

My issue has been fixed. The Image visual is set up to always ratio the picture to the width rather than the height. this means that you will always be able to see the full width of the picture, but not always the height.

To fix this and get the desired effect, I created a 13cm x 13cm white square in powerpoint, overlayed each of my pictures on this square (ensuring the full picture fit in the box) and saved the square and image as a new picture. This forces the visual to be as wide as the white square and, as all the image is within the square, i see the full image on all pictures.

Thanks for all your help

Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.