Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MikeZonneveld
Frequent Visitor

Image URL not working anymore in combination with calc groups (did work!)

Hi All,

Just hope there's somebody else having this issues!

I have used calculation groups to show measures in differente time perspectives.

I have created a new measure that basically calculates another measures and using a filter to activate the calculation group.

So basically like:

NewMeasure = 

Var _input = CALCULATE([OtherMeasure],FILTER('calc groups'),'calc groups'[name]="LastWeek")
then something else using _input to define the URL

With the result of this measure I determine which picture I would like to show. So this measure has Data category = Image URL

I know it is not possible for Power BI to have 1 measure and use it in such a way with calculation groups the outcome can either be a number or a image url. Therefor I made the "NewMeasure"

This worked fine for some months,  and on Power BI Desktop it still works fine. However when publishing to a workspace the image is not shown but the url adress is shown.
If in the same table I would add a [ThirdMeasure] being also Data category = Image Url and is also getting the same URL but withouth using the calculation groups, than it works. So the URL and image it self is correct & secure and can be found from online platform.

How come suddenly this combination is not working anymore? I did upgrade my workspace, might that be a cause?
I already tried downloading the latest Power BI Desktop version and downloading the latest Tabluar Editor version (2.16.3) and re-publishing but still not working

Hopefully somebody can help me 🙂
Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just in case somebody else has this problem, what worked for me:

1 = I have a measure calculating something

2 = I have a measure looking up an URL which is the image URL.  (Actually I have 4 and they are all static)
3 = I have a calculation group re-calculating measure #1
4 = I have a measure calculating measure #1 with filter on #3 calc group and the outcome refers to one of 4 measures of #2

This last part gave the error, referring to a measure. When copying the lookup formula from #2 into #4 it all worked again.
Although this worked for months, Power BI seems to struggle with measures referring to other measures and than showing it as an Image URL

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MikeZonneveld ,

Sorry, I haven't encountered. Could you share a sample pbix after deleting sensitive data so that we can check the issue

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Just in case somebody else has this problem, what worked for me:

1 = I have a measure calculating something

2 = I have a measure looking up an URL which is the image URL.  (Actually I have 4 and they are all static)
3 = I have a calculation group re-calculating measure #1
4 = I have a measure calculating measure #1 with filter on #3 calc group and the outcome refers to one of 4 measures of #2

This last part gave the error, referring to a measure. When copying the lookup formula from #2 into #4 it all worked again.
Although this worked for months, Power BI seems to struggle with measures referring to other measures and than showing it as an Image URL

Hi Liang, @V-lianl-msft 

Yes off course.  Download PBIX 

It holds only 1 page with an almost empty model. In this 1 page you will find a tabel holding 4 measures of which 2 are Image URL's.

When published these are shown as url's but in desktop they are shown as images

Many thanks

I checked your pbix and did some tests.If the calculation group is not used, it can be displayed as a picture in the service. I found the possible reason and the idea has been mentioned:https://github.com/TabularEditor/TabularEditor/issues/380 
Hope this will help you

@V-lianl-msft  Hi Liang,

In my opinion these are different things.

Reasons for this being:

1. This worked untill lost month
  2. It works in desktop version, but only not after being published
  3. The url you send discusses format string, not data category

I believe it's a bug for online reports occured recently? 

Regards Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.