Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Image URL does not work!! Data category is not enabled in LIVE connnection?

Hi All,

Greetings,

I am in believe now that Data categorization does not go along with LIVE connection. can anyone came across this thing, any help is highly appreciated.

I want to dispplay image as a KPI indicator in a table and using image url but that are coming as plain web url text.

13 REPLIES 13
quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

Can we have a snapshot of what you are encountering ? 

Does the image display ? Or only the url ? 

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @quentin_vigne,

Below is the screenshot.

blog.PNG

As you can see data category is disabled. Is it because of LIVE connection? if yes, then is it any way to show images in table's column when you are connected with Live conn

Thanks!

@Anonymous

Is this a measure or a calculated column ? If this is a measure, you can't do that and need to switch to a calculated column and select the data category.

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have gone for calculated column first but LIVE connection doesnot allow that also. seeblog2.PNG

Any other option!

@Anonymous

If you right click on a table you should have the option to create a column

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

No. I am not getting that option.

blog3.PNG

@Anonymous

That's very very strange, because I tried to connect to my database on my side with Direct Query, and I have all the options to create a new column ...

directquery.PNG

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohh!!

Not sure why is that. I am using SQL server Analysis services and using 'Connect LIve'.

blog4.PNG

@Anonymous

You are connected to your model.

Live Connection refers to connecting directly to a Model (SSAS Multidimensional or Tabular)

With Direct Query - you are connecting to a database, and you have the ability to create calculated columns and measures in Power BI

Maybe you can change your access and connect to data instead of your model ? Else you will have to add everything you need in your model and not on PowerBI ...

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. But that is the requirement, i have to use Model only becuase that is already being created and we have to deploy a dashbaord based out of that Model.

any other suggestions or Is there any custom visual which can fulfill this task?

Hi @Anonymous,

You could change the data category to be ImageURl in SSAS site, then when you have a live connection with SSAS, the image should be  shown in the report.

I have found this video which should help you.

Hope this can help you!

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-piga-msft,

Actually I am just writing a DAX measure for this operation. Like-:

SampleMeasure = If(A>B),image1URL

If(A<C),image2URL

,image3URL;

So that means this column we just need at report level and it will be made in report only after pulling the data from model/cube. What to do in this situation? I am all tied up.

Regards,

Droid

Hello @v-piga-msft 

I had the same issue you had you can quickly correct it just changing the measure data type to "text" than the data category "image url" should appear

Hope it helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.