Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SheldonEdwards
Frequent Visitor

Image URL Not Working on Matrix Visual

Hi

I have been having endles hassles trying to get Image URLs to display in PBI Desktop (Version: 2.59.5135.421 64-bit (June 2018)).

Initially I tried linking to images on our external SharePoint site, but that didnt seem to work at all.

Linking to images on a 'normal' website worked perfectly in both Table and Matrix visuals.

I then tried embedding the images into the PBIX file, from advice in this article

https://blog.gbrueckl.at/2018/01/storing-images-powerbi-analysis-services-data-models/

Now:

As can be seen, data type and category are correct, and visual is displaying icons correctly in Table visualAs can be seen, data type and category are correct, and visual is displaying icons correctly in Table visualWhen I switch from Table to Matrix, the images no longer display correctly. This happens on Row or ColumnWhen I switch from Table to Matrix, the images no longer display correctly. This happens on Row or Column

There seems to be a lot of posts out there on Image URLs not working properly... is this a reliable feature? It seems very temperamental.

Any suggestions welcome... Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @SheldonEdwards,

By my research, if you could unzip your pbix file, you will find the size of Data Model for the two pbix files are different.

Untitled.png

So the files will have different sizes. 

Besides, I found that your image not showing in matrix may caused by the URL is too long, you need to turn on the Word Warp under firmating.

Untitled22.png

You could see the result in the attachment.

Best regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SheldonEdwards
Frequent Visitor

Update:

I have recreated the image embedding queries in a brand new PBIX file, and they are working perfectly in both Table and Matrix visuals (Note file size 102 KB):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vJqjpN0zIlArw8OeQoAOlliZg3Lfjlvs

I then stripped out my original PBIX file of all other queries, tables, filters, custom visuals etc. so that only the image embedding queries remained i.e. the two files should now be identical, but images are still not working on Matrix visual (Note file size is 3 times the size 357 KB).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k29byKmAvFNzt8LoYBbnJpLwaJVfcT0N

Would someone be able to explain the difference in file size, and the potential reasons why the Matrix visual is not displaying the image URLs?

Thanks

Hi @SheldonEdwards,

By my research, if you could unzip your pbix file, you will find the size of Data Model for the two pbix files are different.

Untitled.png

So the files will have different sizes. 

Besides, I found that your image not showing in matrix may caused by the URL is too long, you need to turn on the Word Warp under firmating.

Untitled22.png

You could see the result in the attachment.

Best regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Awesome, thanks @v-piga-msft Smiley Happy

For interests sake, why would the size of the data model be different, after I stripped out all of the data?

Also, why is there a difference between the default bahaviors of the Matrix visuals in my 2 PBIX files (when inserting a new Matrix visual into either of the files, one defaults to Word Wrap on, and the other off)?  Could it be because one of the files originates from a much older version of Power BI?

Thanks a million

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.