Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andrew_hardwick
Helper III
Helper III

Ignoring filters for one measure

I am attempting to calculate a measure to show to cost per country for an application portfolio. The measue is called 'Cost per install' and is defined as below:

Cost per install = CALCULATE(sum('public licensedappslicenses'[scost])/count('public licensedappsdeviceassignments'[deviceid]),'Table'[Column])

Application NameSupport CostInstalled DevicesCost per installTotal Cost
Application A€ 4,850.005€ 970.00€ 4,850.00
Application B€ 1,000.002€ 500.00€ 1,000.00

So looking at Application A, I can see the total cost is €4,850 and 5 PCs have this installed so sharing this cost between the 5 PCs means they each pay €970.

We also want to share this cost out per country, so if I create a table showing me the countries I can see 3 for UK, 1 for NL and 1 for RO. So I now want to filter the table above to show the cost per country. So if I click UK I would ideally have the Installed Devices change to 3, the cost per install stay the same and then the total cost = (cost per install * Installed Devices). However when I filter UK it is also changing cost per install as below.

Application A€ 4,850.003€ 1,616.67€ 4,850.00

I would like the result to show as below:

Application A€ 4,850.003€ 970.00€ 2,910.00

Therefore I need the 'Cost per install' measure to not be affected by filters I apply. I have tried using ALLSELECTED, ALLEXCEPT and various other permutations but they all seem to give the same result.

6 REPLIES 6
andrew_hardwick
Helper III
Helper III

Can anyone help with this? It looks like it should be simple, but I am still struggling to get this working.

Hi @andrew_hardwick ,

I'd like to suggest you create a new table with locations filed as source of slicer.(not add relationship to original tables) Then you can modify your measure formula to compare with row contents with selected records.

Make measure ignore specific filter

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

I tried this using the sample pbx file and it seems to give the same result. Did you manage to get this to work by looking at my sample file? If so, can you post how you did this, or send me a working file?

Hi @andrew_hardwick ,

You can make a pbix file with some test data and upload it to onedrive or google drive and share link here.
Notice: Do mask on sensitive data before share.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @andrew_hardwick ,

In my opinion, ALLEXCEPT should suitable for your requirement. It will ignore external filters effect and let formula only filter by fields which defined in function.

Cost per install =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'public licensedappslicenses'[scost] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Table, 'Table'[Application Name] )
)
    / CALCULATE (
        COUNT ( 'public licensedappsdeviceassignments'[deviceid] ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( Table, 'Table'[Application Name] )
    )

If above not help, please share some sample data for test.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi @v-shex-msft , I tried your suggestion, but the results come out the same as the formula I already had. I have created a sample file here, that demonstrates the issue. Basically when I click the location slicer, I do not want the 'cost per install' measure to be affected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.