Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Ignore outer filter (slicer) with DAX

Hello,

For the new sparklines feature, I would like to create a measure that ignores slicers from the 'Dates' table.

I want my sparklines to be based on [MonthYear], this way the months won't arregate with the same month in another year.

Link to example

Basicly the only thing I would like is that my visuals don't change when changing the year slicer. But, the solution has to be in the DAX measure. Not with edit interactions.

It's problably very easy but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@PVO3 I have gone thru the same exercise when sparklines were introduced and unfortunately there is no solution except creating a disconnected table, or you can turn off edit interactions with the slicer for the matrix visual, but that may not fit in all the scenarios.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@PVO3 I have gone thru the same exercise when sparklines were introduced and unfortunately there is no solution except creating a disconnected table, or you can turn off edit interactions with the slicer for the matrix visual, but that may not fit in all the scenarios.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@PVO3 , As @parry2k  told, Edit interaction is the easy solution.

Aburar_123
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @PVO3,

This is not working because you removed the filter in the measure but still you are using the MonthYear column in the visual. Since the MonthYear having relation with the selected year it is not working as you expected.

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Aburar_123 thanks, I understand. But what's the solution, other than creating a seperated table?

If there was only a function that retained implicit filters, but removing explicit filters.

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@amitchandak thanks for your reply.

In my example I already used REMOVEFILTERS. Unfortunatly it doesn't give the expected result. It still responds to changes in the slicer.

@PVO3 , I tried checking your file. somehow all your dates are text, so not able check. Can you provide file with the data type date.

To me, it seems like you might have to use an independent date table on Table(row) and slicer 

Need of an Independent Date Table:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44fGGmg9fHI

PVO3
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@amitchandak I'm sorry, yes for this example i just quickly entered some data as text.

Yes an independant date table would solve my issue. But i find it a rather ugly solution for such a minor thing.

I'll keep it in mind though!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PVO3 , one of the way is use removefilter

calculate([measure], removefilters('Date'))

or

calculate([measure], removefilters('Date'), values('Date'[Month]) )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors