Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ivan_P
Frequent Visitor

Ignore Filters For Dimensions (Categorical Variables)

Hi, 

I am failry new to PBI (coming from Tableau) and I am struggling to understand whether PBI can generate a categorical variable ignoring filters. I used measures like SUM/MIN/AVG in combination with CALCULATE/ALL to ignore filters for continuous varibles but I can't make it work with categorical variables.

Let's say I have a categorical column with with 4 distinct values and a visual filter that filters out one of the four values. Can I generate a table that still lists all 4 despite the filter?

I tried this:

CALCULATE(VALUES('Table'[Cat_Var1]), ALL('Table'[Cat_Var1]))

But it still lists only 3 out of 4 distinct values.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Ivan_P ,

If columns are from the same table, or if they are from different tables but there are relationships among them, data will always be filtered when you selected the filter.  So if you want to show all the values whenever the filter selected, you need to create a new irrelative table. However, this no sense for the filter.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

ALL, ALLEXCEPT, ALLSELECTED should be what you are looking for. In a quick example, I have the following table:

Basic Table.png

Then write a simple sum measure to get the value of whatever I put on rows:

Amount of each value = sum( 'Table'[Amount])

Simple Sum.png

Then I put a slicer on Value, but no matter what I still want that total of 50 :

Amount of All= CALCULATE( [Amount of each value], ALL( 'Table'[Value]))

Amount of All.png

Not sure if that is what you were asking, but took a shot.

Not exactly, taking your example - you are ignoring filters for the measure of the count, like at the end shows 50 no matter which category you select. What I am trying to do is to list all 4 values of the dimension (blue, organce, yellow, red) regardless of which value is selected in the filter. Don't know if it is possible.

Hi @Ivan_P ,

If columns are from the same table, or if they are from different tables but there are relationships among them, data will always be filtered when you selected the filter.  So if you want to show all the values whenever the filter selected, you need to create a new irrelative table. However, this no sense for the filter.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ok. No means No I guess.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.