Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Craigc3814
Regular Visitor

If stops at 3 else's?

I just learned, unfortunatley the hard way that after the 3rd IF this formula quits working. I believe Switch is the correct way to go? But I am unsure how to loop in Lookupvalue due to lack of examples found while researching. 

As menitoned the first 3 IF's work then apparently PowerBI does not let you do anymore?

Fy22 = IF(Construction[Cashflow Tpye]="Back-Loaded",LOOKUPVALUE(Curves[Back Loaded Current],Curves[Percent Complete],Construction[FY22%Comp]),
IF(Construction[Cashflow Tpye]="Trapezoid",LOOKUPVALUE(Curves[Trapezoid Current],Curves[Percent Complete],Construction[FY22%Comp]),
IF(Construction[Cashflow Tpye]="Slow",LOOKUPVALUE(Curves[Slow Curve Current],Curves[Percent Complete],Construction[FY22%Comp],
if(Construction[Cashflow Tpye]="Front-Loaded",LOOKUPVALUE(Curves[Front Loaded Current],Curves[Percent Complete],Construction[FY22%Comp],
if(Construction[Cashflow Tpye]="Linear",Construction[FY22%Comp],0)))))))
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@Craigc3814 

IF can go deeper than 3, you are missing some closing ) on some LOOKUPVALUE lines.

jdbuchanan71_0-1675086011021.png

That being said, SWITCH is the way to go and @AlB gave you the solution for that.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Yep, SWITCH would be the way to do it.  The formula from @AlB  shows you how that would work.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@Craigc3814 

IF can go deeper than 3, you are missing some closing ) on some LOOKUPVALUE lines.

jdbuchanan71_0-1675086011021.png

That being said, SWITCH is the way to go and @AlB gave you the solution for that.

Someone pointed out the mistake I made above and I fixed it.

What is the better way of going about this? Your formula worked perfectly! I assume Switch is less cumbersome on the query? I love learning this stuff!

This community never ceases to amaze me

WOW you are correct, that fixed the issue. It was a complete coincedence that I read this article and my formula being out of whack after the 3rd instance. THANK YOU SO MUCH

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Is-there-a-maximum-to-the-number-of-else-if-statements-in-a...

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Craigc3814 

I do NOT believe IF fails after three nested instances. There must be something else going on. In any case, if you want that code with SWITCH() :

Fy22 =
SWITCH (
    Construction[Cashflow Type],
    "Back-Loaded",
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            Curves[Back Loaded Current],
            Curves[Percent Complete], Construction[FY22%Comp]
        ),
    "Trapezoid",
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            Curves[Trapezoid Current],
        ),
    "Slow",
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            Curves[Slow Curve Current],
        ),
    "Front-Loaded",
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            Curves[Front Loaded Current],
        ),
    "Linear", Construction[FY22%Comp],
)

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, you can use many If's as you want. I use a query with 15 to 20 If's sequentially. Maybe your logic is stopping before for its constructions?

From what I read if you are using Direct Query mode there is a limit of 3 (found in another forum answer) but in import mode there is no limit. I am assuming that is correct because my IF statement stops working at 3

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.