Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hibarrbm
Helper I
Helper I

If i delete data from Excel data source also delete data already imported into my tables

I have created a transactional data table in Power BI from an Excel data source file. As the weeks go on, i will need to import new data every week into my Power BI table and keep historicals. However, i do not want my Excel source file to continue to grow as it will reach excel limits very soon. 

If i delete old data from the Excel source file to make room for the new data, will that also delete the data already imported into my power bi table?

3 REPLIES 3
Angith_Nair
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @hibarrbm ,

The answer to your question is YES. Because whenever you will import new data into excel, you also need to refresh your Power BI file. Now when old data is removed from the excel source and when you refresh the Power BI file then from Power BI also the old data will be removed. Ultimately Power BI is using an Excel file as a source.

If this helps, kindly mark it as a solution. Appreciate with Kuddos.

Thanks for sharing!

Any suggestions on how to import new data without having to create a new connection to essentially a new excel file every week moving forward?

Hi, @hibarrbm 

As of now,Power BI is unable to achieve this feature. Power BI is better at data modeling and report creation than  data storage.

You need to consider more from the datasource, such as how to back up the differential data.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.