Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If Statement Aggregation

Hi, 

I wrote a measure to calculate job costs utilizing different accounting methods based on time intelligence. My example code is below:

Estimated Final Cost = 

VAR CurrentDate = TODAY()
VAR RigReleaseDate = SELECTEDVALUE('MDM WELL'[RIG_RELEASE_DATE])
VAR FracEndDate = SELECTEDVALUE('MDM WELL'[FRAC_END_DATE])

VAR EstimatedFinalCost =
    IF( CurrentDate - RigReleaseDate > 180, [Accounting Actual],
        IF(OR(CurrentDate - RigReleaseDate <= 180, CurrentDate - FracEndDate <= 180), [Field Estimate Amount], [AFE Amount])
    )
VAR Result = EstimatedFinalCost / [Adjusted Lateral Length]
RETURN
    Result

This works at the level of the entity but when I aggregate to a higher grouping, the measure doesn't appear to know how to iterate between child assets with varying Date Fields (i.e. RigReleaseDate). Below is an example matrix visual using the measure. I am curious how the measure is calculating 66 days between CurrentDate and RigReleaseDate. It needs to iterate through each child and run the IF statement at that level for the aggregation to work correctly. As you can see, a grouping can have several child rows with varying IF statement evaluations.

If Statement Aggregation.png

5 REPLIES 5
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please provide some sample data and the formulas of measures applied in measure "Estimated Final Cost" just as suggested by @lbendlin in order to make troubleshooting? Also please provide the correct results which should display on visual.

In addition, please try to create a new measure as below to replace the measure "Estimated Final Cost" on the visual and check if it can return the correct values...

Measure = SUMX ( VALUES ( 'MDM WELL'[Formation] ), [Estimated Final Cost] )

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yiruan-msft 

That measure didn't provide a different answer. It definitely looks like it is evaluating the date logic using the minimum returned valued from the children.

I can try and provide some sample data though. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for your reply. Could you please provide some sample data for the following tables and existed relationships among them? It is better if you can provide your sample pbix file(exclude sensitive data). Thank you.

vwSpotfire_CAPEX

Expense Classification Bridge

AFE_Budget_All

vwSpotfire_CAPEX_Estimated_Expense

MDM WELL

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You are not showing enough details. The definitions of 

[Field Estimate Amount]
[AFE Amount]
[Adjusted Lateral Length]

may or may not impact your calculations. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

No Problem

Accounting Actual =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( vwSpotfire_CAPEX[SumAmount] ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( vwSpotfire_CAPEX[CategoryName], 'Expense Classification Bridge'[CategoryName] )
)
AFE Amount =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( AFE_Budget_All[AFEBudget] ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( AFE_Budget_All[CategoryName], 'Expense Classification Bridge'[CategoryName] )
)

Field Estimate Amount =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( vwSpotfire_CAPEX_Estimated_Expense[EstimatedExpenses] ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( vwSpotfire_CAPEX_Estimated_Expense[CategoryName], 'Expense Classification Bridge'[CategoryName] )
)
Adjusted Lateral Length = CALCULATE(SUM('MDM WELL'[Lateral Length]))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.