Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If Measure Repeating All Possible Row Combinations

I have an IF measure, made up of two other measaures.  They are:

EstimatedMargin = [SUMTotalAmt]-[EstimatedTotalCost]

EstimatedTotalCost = SUM(SalesHistory[Estimated LaborCost])+SUM(SalesHistory[Estimated MaterialCost])+SUM(SalesHistory[Estimated OtherCost])+SUM(SalesHistory[Estimated SubcontractorCost])

EstimatedMarginIF = IF([EstimatedTotalCost]=BLANK(),"No Cost Bid",[EstimatedMargin])

EstimatedMargin and EstimatedTotalCost each work fine on their own.  

EstiatedMarginIF is trying to say that if Total Cost is blank, meaning that none of the cost-fields were given values, then return "No Cost Bid", otherwise, return EstimatedMargin.

I'm including a screenshot to try and explain what I'm seeing.  Basically, the measure returns a correct value for the first line, but then duplicates itself as "No Cost Bid", for all possible combinations of each column that are in the matrix.

In the following example, I've filtered to a single SO number (7176537), a single branch (BVLS Sun City), and a single Market (Florida West).  I did not filter on region.  I expect the top line to return as it did.  However, the following two lines are, are what the measure is fabricating.  These are not accurate Region -> Market -> Branch intersections, the market and branch belong to Florida North, not Florida South, or Southeast.  Further, if I were to unfilter on Market, it would return every market, for each region.  Further further, if I were to unfilter branch, I'd get every branch, across every market, across every region.  As you can imagine, this errors out the program and I can't use it.

I've tried to filter across all measures to mitigate this problem, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Below is the screenshot for the example

Screenshot.JPG

@Anonymous 

The formula seems right. I need to check with some data.

Can you share sample data and sample output.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just built out a sample branch hierarchy and sample data.  The results returned OK.  I'll circle back to my IT team and see what's going on in the background.  Thanks for your input!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.