Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdriscoll
Helper I
Helper I

Identify value by min/max value of another column

Hi,

I'm trying to identify a value of one column based on a minimum average value of another column. In the example provided below, I'd like to create measures that narrow down to a scalar of the "Specific Skill/Industry" value associated with the minimum and maximum average "Experience Level" score column. So in this example, I'd like to identify Skill A as the minimum average experience level score with 1.25 and Skill C as the maximum average experience level score with 5.0.

I've already created the minimum/maximum experience level scores themselves using the following measure (minimum score measure provided as example):

Min_Score =
VAR Avg_Table =
SUMMARIZE (
Survey_Table,
Survey_Table[Specific Skill/Industry],
"Avg_Score", AVERAGE ( Survey_Table[Experience Level] )
)
VAR Min_Val =
MINX ( Avg_Table, [Avg_Score] )
RETURN
Min_Val

jdriscoll_0-1645512301324.png

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jdriscoll , Try a measure like

calculate(Min( Survey_Table[Experience Level] ), allexcept(Survey_Table,Survey_Table[Specific Skill/Industry]))

or

calculate(Min( Survey_Table[Experience Level] ), filter(allselected(Survey_Table),Survey_Table[Specific Skill/Industry] =max(Survey_Table[Specific Skill/Industry])))

Hi, I tried both those measures and they return numbers. I'm looking for the value in the specific skill/industry column corresponding with minimum or maximum average experience levels.

Hi, @jdriscoll 

Can you share some sample data(table format instead of pictures) and your desired result? Your measure looks fine, What's the difference between it and the result you want? 

Janey

Hi, picking back up on this topic as I've had some time to work on this again.

To back up a bit and simplify things, I have the following sample table, representing survey results (multiple survey responses per person over time):

jdriscoll_0-1660332088976.png

First thing I want to do is create a variable table so that it's narrowed down to only the most recent survey results by person so I can do further analysis on it, and the filtered table would look like the following:

jdriscoll_1-1660332230841.png

What is the best way to achieve this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.