Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Identify user language PBI Desktop and PBI service?

Hi Folks,

We are trying to create multiple lingual reports using PBI.

I have a question, Is there any function in PBI which identifies which language we are using in PBI desktop (PBI interface language) or PBI Service or desktop or Browser language?

I understood that we can provide a prompt to user to select the language in which they want to run PBI reports,  but we are looking for some dynamic way of doing it. 

Please share if you have any thoughts or inputs to fulfill above requirement.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The DAX function

USERCULTURE()

will give you the current users locale. The first two characters essentially provide you with the users language. You can use this in your DAX to your liking. However this function is not documented and not officially supported by Microsoft. So be careful when using it in production 😉

With this and tabular editor you can pretty much accomplish a true multilanguage report.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @itsmebvk,

In fact, power bi data model existing 'Culture' information, but it seems like power bi not contain any availed DAX functions and features to pick up the current data model culture.

Changing the culture of a Power BI Desktop file 

Perhaps you can try to use R or python visual with scripts to get current system culture info.

How to detect the OS default language in python? 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
itsmebvk
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thanks @Greg_Deckler  @v-shex-msft  @amitchandak  for your replies, as you have mentioned since there is no direct option I will try all work around suggested by you.

Appreciate your help!

Hi @itsmebvk,

Yes, current power bi seems not to share the options to achieve your requirement. BTW, submit an idea to add official support with this might be a simple way to further developing with data model culture fields.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@itsmebvk - To be clear, there is no DAX function that will identify the language that I am aware of. Also, Power Query won't help because that's only for data load. You could have a custom visual with javascript that could probably do it but not sure if that is useful or not.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@itsmebvk - It is my undestanding that you can use Tabular Editor to create, essentially, language variations of table names, column names, measures etc. In this case then, these will show up automatically according to each user's regional language setting. Is that what you are going for?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.