Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jeffreyweir
Helper III
Helper III

Identify customers who had puchased exactly one unit of three particular items, and nothing else.

Howdy folks. I answered a question recently over at StackOverflow where the OP wanted to identify customers who had puchased exactly one unit of three particular items, and nothing else.

I came up with a solution that required him to write specific measures for each of the items of interest, but I'm curious as to whether instead it would instead be possible to reference a list of the items concerned in a Table. With my very intermediate DAX, I'm finding that I often write dedicated hard-coded measures, and I thought this would be an interesting example where I might finally learn what I need to do to go beyond this 'hard coded' approach into more dynamic DAX.

Can anyone think of how I'd accomplish this dynamically in DAX?

Here's the sample data:

CustomerItem
BobPen
BobStapler
BobStapler
BobTape
GregPen
GregPen
GregStapler
TimStapler
TimTape
TimGlue
MarkPen
MarkStapler
MarkTape

Here's the measures I came up with:

All Things: =CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Data[Item]))
Count Pen: =CALCULATE(COUNTA(Data[Customer]), FILTER(Data,Data[Item] = "Pen"))
Count Stapler: =CALCULATE(COUNTA(Data[Customer]), FILTER(Data,Data[Item] = "Stapler"))
Count Tape: =CALCULATE(COUNTA(Data[Customer]), FILTER(Data,Data[Item] = "Tape"))
Qualifier: =IF(AND([Things of interest]=3,[All things] = 3),1,BLANK())
Things of interest: =IF([Count Pen]=1,1,0)+If([Count Tape]=1,1,0)+IF([Count Stapler]=1,1,0)

I'd like to be able to replace Count Pen, Count Stapler, Count Tape etc with 'cleverer' DAX that grabs the items of interest from a seperate table, like this:

1-05-2018 10-20-56 PM.jpg

...and here's the result I'm after (using an Excel PivotTable):

Pivot Items.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jeffreyweir,

You may refer to the following measure.

Measure =
VAR t =
    VALUES ( Table1[Item] )
RETURN
    IF (
        COUNTROWS ( Table1 ) = COUNTROWS ( t )
            && COUNTROWS ( Table1 ) = COUNTROWS ( Table2 )
            && ISEMPTY ( EXCEPT ( t, Table2 ) ),
    )
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jeffreyweir,

You may refer to the following measure.

Measure =
VAR t =
    VALUES ( Table1[Item] )
RETURN
    IF (
        COUNTROWS ( Table1 ) = COUNTROWS ( t )
            && COUNTROWS ( Table1 ) = COUNTROWS ( Table2 )
            && ISEMPTY ( EXCEPT ( t, Table2 ) ),
    )
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft Works great in Excel 365. Unfortunately crashes my build of Excel 2016: I get a long delay when I try to commit the Measure, only to get a dialog saying:

Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE Action

In the end I have to forcibly quit Excel. In fact, the only solution so far that I can get Excel 2016 to accept is the third one by @phil_seamark

Real pity that we get inconsistancies both across Excel/PBA as well as between Excel versions.

This is SOOO clever. I'm learning heaps from this, thanks. Hadn't come across the EXCEPT function before. 

Phil Seamark has emailed me some approaches too, which I'll encourage him to post here. Turns out there are many ways to skin this particular cat.

Edit: Ignore this post. I had changed one of the columns from an int to text to simplify the example, but forgotton to refresh. Doh.

Hmmm...problem: Works great in PowerBI, doesn't work in Excel 365. I get an error " Function 'EXCEPT' does not support joining a column of type Text with a column of type Integer."

I've had the same from some of Phil Seamark's approaches too...despite the fact that all the approaches he's sent through work in PowerBI, some of his work only in Excel 365 but not Excel 2016, and some don't work in any version of Excel.

I'll write up Phil's approaches here when I get a chance, unless he beats me to it. It's an interesting formula challenge, and I'm sure others will be intrigued by the different approaches that can solve this, not to mention the different platforms that they do or don't work on.

Here's a few options that @Phil_Seamark was kind enough to email me when I spammed him. Looks like I'm buying him coffee tomorrow. Here's his first effort:

=
COUNTROWS (
    FILTER (
        SUMMARIZE (
            FILTER ( 'Table1', 'Table1'[Customer] = MAX ( 'Table1'[Customer] ) ),
            [Customer],
            "Total Items Purchased", DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table1[Item] ),
            "Distinct Preferred", COUNTROWS ( INTERSECT ( SELECTCOLUMNS ( Table1, "Items", [Item] ), Table2 ) )
        ),
        [Distinct Preferred] = [Total Items Purchased]
            && [Total Items Purchased] = COUNTROWS ( Table2 )
    )
)

Works great in PBI and Excel 365, but my build of Excel 2016 complains that  The function MAX takes an argument that evaluates to numbers or dates and cannot work with values of type String.

Here's Phil's second offering:

=
VAR x =
    SELECTCOLUMNS (
        FILTER ( 'Table1', 'Table1'[Customer] = MAX ( 'Table1'[Customer] ) ),
        "Items", [Item]
    )
VAR y =
    UNION ( INTERSECT ( x, Items ), INTERSECT ( Items, x ) )
RETURN
    IF ( COUNTROWS ( y ) = COUNTROWS ( Items ) * 2, 1)

...which works great in PBI and Excel 365. But my build of Excel 2016 complains about MAX like the previous formula does.

His third one used the old parameter arg type trick of using 1, 2, 4, .... in a second column of Table2 so you could see if everything someone had purchased added to 7. Sneaky!

Table3.jpg

=COUNTROWS(
      FILTER(
        SUMMARIZE(
            'Table1',
            Table1[Customer],
            "Score", SUM('Table3'[ID]),
            "myRows",COUNTROWS('Table1')
       ),[Score]=SUM(Table3[ID]) && [myRows]=COUNTROWS(Table3))
     )

This works in both Excel 365 and my build of Excel 2016

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.