Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PaulBI
Frequent Visitor

Icons Conditional Formatting by Field

I've been successfully conditional formatting Background and Font color by field for a while, but has anyone had any success in using the 'by field' conditional formatting for Icons?  It's an available option, but everytime I use it, it just removes any icons. 

The measure I had been using for background and Font were the typical "Red" and "Green" (and worked for background and font) but no luck using that same measure for the icons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @PaulBI 

Are you having trouble getting the incon names to use?  @Anonymous put together a list in one of his posts from another source you could take a look at.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/What-are-the-icon-IDs-In-July-update/m-p/752075#M362440

In this example, I wrote a measure to read the value of my measure then a switch to set the icon.

Format Notes = 
VAR TheTest = SUM (Notes[Notes] ) / 100
    RETURN
    SWITCH ( 
        TRUE(),
        TheTest < .2, "CircleEmpty",
        TheTest < .4, "Circle25",
        TheTest < .6, "CircleHalf",
        TheTest < .8, "Circle75",
        "CircleFilled"
    )

IconFormatSwitch.jpg

Then I use conditional formatting > Icons on the measure I am trying to highlight and pick 'Fileld Value', and use my formatting switch measure from above.

IconFormatApplied.jpg

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PaulBI
Frequent Visitor

That's exactly what I was looking for.  I was hoping there was a way to use one measure to set both icon and font at the same time, but a table of the icon names that I can set a second measure to works as well.

Thanks

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @PaulBI 

Are you having trouble getting the incon names to use?  @Anonymous put together a list in one of his posts from another source you could take a look at.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/What-are-the-icon-IDs-In-July-update/m-p/752075#M362440

In this example, I wrote a measure to read the value of my measure then a switch to set the icon.

Format Notes = 
VAR TheTest = SUM (Notes[Notes] ) / 100
    RETURN
    SWITCH ( 
        TRUE(),
        TheTest < .2, "CircleEmpty",
        TheTest < .4, "Circle25",
        TheTest < .6, "CircleHalf",
        TheTest < .8, "Circle75",
        "CircleFilled"
    )

IconFormatSwitch.jpg

Then I use conditional formatting > Icons on the measure I am trying to highlight and pick 'Fileld Value', and use my formatting switch measure from above.

IconFormatApplied.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, i'm trying to do the same - create a Measure for icon formatting and use it in table - however after creating measure and applying it into conditional formatting option in table options my unichar icons are not encoded. Does anyone know how to solve that? 

Below my measure, result in table and conditional formatting. 

dziqe_0-1634139150393.png

dziqe_1-1634139224244.png

Thanks 

@Anonymous 

It looks like maybe the icons won't get applied in the cell?  Maybe you can only use the built-in icons work but you can add your formatting measure in another column and they should show up.

Measure 2 = 
VAR _Value = [Benchmark_Medical_Claims]
RETURN
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    _Value > 1000, UNICHAR( 9660 ),
    UNICHAR(9679)
)

jdbuchanan71_0-1634140048460.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok - solved. It seems like some of the icons have issue with this scenario of usage. I've changed them on different and it works. 
Thanks.  

dziqe_0-1634142711526.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

The case is that i would need to place them in the same column. At least i will place them in separte column but that's the last option i'm considering. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

This was really helpful! I have a question though:

How does one remove the text form the same column as where the icons are? I see in your example, the icons are in their own column, but when I follow the same steps, my column contains the icons on the left, and the text on the right. How can I only show the icons and not display the text?

Thank you in advance.

Hello @Anonymous 

In the conditional formatting window you can set it to show icons only.

IconsOnly.jpg

Thank you, this is extremely helpful.

I am trying to create a similar code to populate cells with an Icon, however I am unable to use UNICHAR() to create an Icon as shown below. 

IconCode =
VAR Mtl_Sub = SELECTEDVALUE(ENG_DATA[Subject])
VAR Mtl_Val = SELECTEDVALUE(ENG_DATA[Value])
Return
SWITCH(
TRUE(),
Mtl_Sub = "MtlAdded" && Mtl_Val = "1", UNICHAR(128077)
)

This code only will populate an Icon if I replace the UNICHAR function with the characters you used such as "CircleHalf". Is there a way to populate the Icons utilizing the UNICHAR function?

Hello @Earosenfeld 

I was able to use the UNICHAR function wtih no problem.  Here is the sample measure I tested.

Formatting = 
VAR Mtl_Sub = SELECTEDVALUE(ENG_DATA[Subject])
VAR Mtl_Val = SELECTEDVALUE(ENG_DATA[Value])
VAR _ThumbsUp = UNICHAR ( 128077 )
VAR _Smiley = UNICHAR ( 128578 )
VAR _Frown = UNICHAR ( 128577 )
VAR _Neutral = UNICHAR ( 128528 )

RETURN
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    Mtl_Sub = "MtlAdded" && Mtl_Val = "1",_ThumbsUp,
    Mtl_Sub = "MtlAdded" && Mtl_Val = "2",_Smiley,
    Mtl_Sub = "MtlAdded" && Mtl_Val = "3",_Frown,
    "No Match"
)

Unichar.jpg

And it works if it is in a VAR or not.

RETURN
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    Mtl_Sub = "MtlAdded" && Mtl_Val = "1",UNICHAR ( 128077 ),
    Mtl_Sub = "MtlAdded" && Mtl_Val = "2",_Smiley,
    Mtl_Sub = "MtlAdded" && Mtl_Val = "3",_Frown,
    "No Match"
)

Does this help at all?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, how did you keep field "No Match" when I do conditional formatting, I can choose either only icons or text next to icon, i used the same formula as you and the text " No match" doesn't show

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.