Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

samihuq
Helper III
Helper III

Icon Map from Altius

Hi,

The new Icon Map from Altius looks really impressive. The demo was great and just downloaded it.  I was wondering if i could get some tutorial along with some sample data that comes with it. Is it possible?

Thanks,

Sami 

36 REPLIES 36
propedog
Regular Visitor

James,
I watched the videos of the presentations you made at Microsoft Business Applications Summit.
This new version of Icon Map custom visual is a great improvement compared to version 1.
I would like to test it in the reports that I have to develop but in the marketplace it is not available.
Where can I find the updated file?
Thank you in advance and congratulations for the good work.

NeroTolentino
Frequent Visitor

Hi @jamesdales ,

Great visual. Can you also share how you came up with the icon rotations? Thanks and looking forward to it.

iankjames

@jamesdales 

Hi James,

Great work.

Does it have a lasso capability to select multiple points?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi @iankjames 

Sorry - no it doesn't yet support selecting multiple points, or lasso. 

Hello,

Is there a working example currently available of individual routes for a number of unique categories, something more complex and with more route-gps points than the filght example? Something along the lines of a number of subway cars with their current location and their route, or a taxi fleet showing their route and location?

Thanks

kstiegler
Advocate I
Advocate I

Edit: Never mind - I had an issue with my setup. I had the wrong field in the Category section. Once I fixed that, my map drew as expected.

This is a great visual! Looking forward to the tooltips!

eloymora
Frequent Visitor

Hi

I really like this visual, looks impressive and I'm using it as much as I can. I have a couple of feature requests which would make this visual even better:

• Colour coding by a property
  • Great circle lines cut off at the date line; if possible to wrap these it would look pretty smart

Kind regards

Eloy

Hi @jamesdales

Any news on the suugestions I posted some time ago?

• Colour coding by a property
  • Great circle lines cut off at the date line; if possible to wrap these it would look pretty smart

Kind regards and thanks!

Eloy 

Hi @eloymora

Great to hear you're using it 🙂

Yes - working on both of these - I don't have a date yet - but hopefully in the next few weeks.

Thanks

James

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you get the plane icon?  I want to show different icons for different types of commerce moving through its supply chain, but i can't even figure out how to get the plane icon let alone how to change it.

Hi New2BINow

The plane icon isn't part of the map. The map will work with any icon - but it needs to be hosted on an external website. You create column in your data table with the URL of the icon you want to display, and drag that into the Icon field of the map.

eg;

Location              Icon                                                        Long                    Lat             Size

Home                  "https://myurl.com/house.png"             59.5                     4.3              30

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @samihuq,

Here is a vedio tutorial for your reference: Power BI - Icon Map custom visual - Analysing and animating flight data

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, but actually i was looking forward for the .pbix file to see how the the london metro data table is organized and how do we set up a similar one

Hi

Hopefully this will help: Icon Map Sample

It doesn't have the metro example in there - I need to dig that out. But it's based on a similar structure as the flight one. 

Cheers

James

Great APP, I must say! I love it and am using it for my daily analysis. Thanks!

Is it possible to add in the "Tooltip" function like the POWERBI original map visual? So I can add in as many details as I want. For now the Icon map only has two possible details for Tooltip.

And for the label size and the size of the icon, I am having thousands of icons on the global map. It looks great when I zoom in for details. But when I zoom out on the global level, it is quite messy because the words and icons are overlapping. Is it possible to add an option, when zoomed out at a certain level, do not show any Labels and shrink the size of the icon.

And when zoomed out at the global level, the map is continous by copying itself like a long scroll but the data points are only showed on one "globe". Is it possible to expand the data to the whole map?

again, thanks for the great work!

Great map visual @jamesdales !

Whats the maximum number of lat/long can it display?

I know this was mentioned already but the ability to show tooltips would be cool 😀

@Ralphqiu Hi. Glad you're finding it useful. Yes - all things on my to do list. I also want to change the tooltips to use the Power BI standart tooltips so that when custom visuals support page in tooltips, these will work too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi , I am using Icon map and i dont see an option to use report page tooltip. Could you please help me on this.

Hi @Anonymous I'm afriad not yet. Report page tooltips have only recently been supported in custom visuals. It's on my to do list however.

It would certainly be great to get support for tooltips. Really looking forward to the new version. Getting mapping in Power BI that will support our own polygons on top of a map will be great. Currently the only way to do this is pay a fortune to Mapbox and this is not somthing that we want to do. Thanks James for coming to the rescue. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.