Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StanS
Frequent Visitor

ISSUE with publishing report

I'm getting the following error: A report has already been published with this name.
I downloaded a pbix file from the PBI Service, made some changes in PBI Desktop and tried to publish it back. Getting this error:

StanS_0-1635536228156.png

There was a similar topic back in 2016.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/this-report-was-already-published-to-the-selected-destinati...

this report was already published to the selected destination
As suggested in the thread, I tried logging out,  logging in back rebooting and even reinstalling the Power BI desktop, but nothing helped.

Has anyone experienced anything like that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

All,

As of this morning everything is working again. Nothing changed on my side that I'm aware of.

Oh well, I'll take it as a win...

jim

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @StanS ,

Please sign in Power BI Service and select the workspace which the report locate in. And click "Get Data" and navigate to Files menu to click "Get" to upload the related report file(.pbix). Later check whether the report can be replaced successfully...

yingyinr_0-1635925505865.png

yingyinr_6-1635926026959.png

yingyinr_5-1635925989952.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

This problem starts yesterday - 2022 Sep-29 -  for me, and it happens just in My Workspace. I used to republish reports daily, and I never ha ever see this error.

Can I try something to solve it and back to republish reports directly from Power BI Desktop?

Thank you

Carlos Beck 

All,

As of this morning everything is working again. Nothing changed on my side that I'm aware of.

Oh well, I'll take it as a win...

jim

One of the reasons this happens is also related to the connected data source. If the .pbix file you are publishing was initially downloaded from the workspace, you might need to reconnect again to the source or instead go to the original report on the power Bi workspace> File> download this file and select "A copy of your report and data (.pbix)"

All,

The Get Data steps do allow me to refresh the content of my online reports, so that is a good thing, but such a pain to do the extra steps. What I'm seeing now is when I try to republish, PBI goes ahead and starts publish, but then stops with the error. Before when it saw that the file already existed, it would ask if I wanted to overwrite it, and I'd say yes and it would proceed. Now it's not asking me if I want to overwrite...

jim

Hi,

Are you still having this problem?

Thanks,

jim

Hi All,

Just tried the above Get Data process, replaced the online pbix with the master pbix on my PC but I still get the same error when trying to republish. It just started happening today Oct. 3rd...

All,

Tried again this morning and still getting the same error...

jim

@v-yiruan-msft Thank you for your suggestion. I tried it, I got the following pop-up

StanS_1-1635938431769.png

and then I got a screen below. I checked my report in PBI Service and figured it was still an old version 

StanS_2-1635938456958.png

Hi @StanS ,

Did you click the 'Replace it' button on the popup window? I tested the method I mentioned in my previous reply and it works fine. The steps I followed were as follows:
1. Download the report named sample_0618 from the service (there is only one table visual in the report)

yingyinr_0-1635994610776.png2. Open the downloaded pbix file in desktop, add a dotnut chart visual and save it

yingyinr_1-1635994651502.png3. Open service and upload the updated pbix file as I did in the previous reply. When the pop-up window appears, click the "Replace it" button to replace the previous report. After the upload is complete, open it and check it. The report is already updated with the following information.

yingyinr_3-1635995014865.png

The version of Power BI Desktop I am using is 2.99.303.0 64-bit (November 2021), could you please provide me with the version of your Power BI Desktop ? If it is not the latest version, could you please update it to the latest version? Then open the downloaded pbix file to change and save it. Later follow my method and see if you can update the report file information. Thank you. Please feel free to contact me if you have any comment or doubt.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
StanS
Frequent Visitor

@VahidDM Hi, unfortunately, I haven't found a solution yet

VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @StanS 

Have you tried to remove the old version from the Power BI Service and publish the new version from the desktop version?

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

StanS
Frequent Visitor

@VahidDM this will work for sure, but I want to keep the same direct link.

StanS
Frequent Visitor

@VahidDM  No, as I need it to stay available under the same link.

@StanS 

see this link and check items:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-upload-desktop-files#republish-or-r...

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.