Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

IP address data gateway

Hi

I have an on-premises data gateway installed on my local machine. I also have a powerbi report pulling data from a SQL Server that I have access to within our team.  I want to publish the report and schedule refreshes. The team that manages the SQL database is asking for the gateway IP address (to whitelist) so that refreshes can run successfully. Where do I find that?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

For this type of error, try to enable https mode in the gateway's network and restart the gateway does it work?

vhenrykmstf_0-1650506346428.png

Adjust communication settings for the on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Open the gateway, click start test test result lists all the servers, ports and IP addresses required for the gateway and opens it in the default text editor.

vhenrykmstf_0-1650446983317.pngvhenrykmstf_1-1650447030290.png

For more details, you can read related document link.

How to configure Power BI Enterprise Gateway Proxy configuration? – Beyond the Horizon… (rajanieshkaushikk.com)

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I shared the test results IPs with the (all said successful). They whitelisted the HostIp address but still did not work.

On the links there's a test suggested which I did but gave me this

Qaqamba_0-1650448818313.png

Not sure what Tcp : False means. The Db guys have informed me that the database sits on an AIX machine with tcp/ip communication

Hi @Anonymous ,

For this type of error, try to enable https mode in the gateway's network and restart the gateway does it work?

vhenrykmstf_0-1650506346428.png

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is the path to the ip address in the screenshot below what you want?

vhenrykmstf_0-1649754726503.png

For more details, you can read related blog as below:

SQL Server - Power BI Gateway problem using external IP or hostname to access database - Dirceu Resende

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

The IP they are looking for is a gateway IP address that will be attempting to connect not SQL IP

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I provided the team with a list of IP addresses to whitelist but I still get an error as below when I try to create a datasource connection.

Qaqamba_0-1650444265053.png

When they check there can see my attempts to connect but they can't see the IP address

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.