Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MClipsham92
Frequent Visitor

IF statement with variable not working as expected

Hello All,

I have this code: 

Overall Score Improved Term 2 = VAR a= IF('Link Teacher'[Attribute]="Link Teacher Score 3",MAXX(FILTER('Link Teacher','Link Teacher'[Identifier]=EARLIER('Link Teacher'[Identifier])&&'Link Teacher'[Attribute]="Link Teacher Score 2"),'Link Teacher'[Score]))
return if(ISBLANK(a),BLANK(),if('Link Teacher'[Score]<a,"Did not improve",IF('Link Teacher'[Score]=a,"Stayed the same","Improved")))

That returns a Did not improve/Stayed the Same/Improved text value depedning on whether or a students score has increased in a certain attribute between the 3rd assessment point and the second. (Link Teacher score 3 and Link Teacher score 2)

However it does not appear to be returning the right value for all students, I have one student that has a score of 13 at the Link Teacher Score 2 but a score of 8 at Link Teacher Score 3. The code erroneously marks him as having Improved which clearly he has not.

Any ideas on this? I'm confused because it appears to be marking the majority of students correctly.

My data looks like:

StudentIdentifierAttributeScore
Student 1Student 1Link Teacher Score 213
Student 1Student 1Link Teacher Score 38

Many Thanks,

Mark Clipsham.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MClipsham92
Frequent Visitor

Think I've worked it out, I had the scores classified as Text data type rather than whole number for some reason.

Thanks,

Mark.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MClipsham92
Frequent Visitor

Think I've worked it out, I had the scores classified as Text data type rather than whole number for some reason.

Thanks,

Mark.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors