Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

IF statement in DAX is correct but error keeps showing

Please help!Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem solved!

Explanation of solutions:

To summarize, all errors were related to language settings in both PowerBI and desktop as tex628 suggested.

My initial settings were English (United States) in both PowerBI and desktop regional settings since two months - everything worked great until yesterday when these errors suddenly appeared!

Following tex628's hints, I switched to English (Belgium), the errors were still there - but my colleague Marc found a workaround by using parenthesis to separate all expressions; all errors were gone.

Finally, I tried to use the same settings as tex628's, meaning all the settings are in English (United Kingdom), then all the original codes are free of errors and there is no need to use the additional workaround mentioned above.

Problem solved and my credits to tex628!

Thank you everyone for your help!!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your answers.
I have lots of similar errors where syntaxes are surely correct but similar errors keep show up. So I post them all, hopefully you can see the root problem better.

Syntax 1
SWITCHcolumn = SWITCH(
   TRUE(),
   'Sales'[QuantitySold] <5, "bad",
   'Sales'[QuantitySold] <10, "better",
   'Sales'[QuantitySold] <15, "good",
   "great"
)

Error 1:
The syntax for '"bad"' is incorrect. (DAX(SWITCH( TRUE(), 'Sales'[QuantitySold] <5. "bad", 'Sales'[QuantitySold] <10. "better", 'Sales'[QuantitySold] <15. "good", "great"))).

Syntax 2
IfThenPrice = IF(ProductPrice[Price] > 3, "expensive", "cheap")

Error 2: The syntax for '"expensive"' is incorrect. (DAX(IF(ProductPrice[Price] > 3. "expensive", "cheap"))).

Syntax 3
IfThenSales = IF('Sales'[QuantitySold]>15, "great",
    IF('Sales'[QuantitySold]>5, "good", "bad"))

Error 3:
The syntax for '"great"' is incorrect. (DAX(IF('Sales'[QuantitySold]>15. "great", IF('Sales'[QuantitySold]>5. "good", "bad")))).

Syntax 4:
DiscountYN =
    VAR DiscountAmount = ,8
    VAR DiscountApplied = Sales[TotalProductSales] * DiscountAmount

RETURN
    IF (Sales[TotalProductSales] > 100, DiscountApplied,
    Sales[TotalProductSales])

Error 4:
The syntax for ',' is incorrect. (DAX( VAR DiscountAmount = ,8 VAR DiscountApplied = Sales[TotalProductSales] * DiscountAmountRETURN IF (Sales[TotalProductSales] > 100. DiscountApplied, Sales[TotalProductSales]))).

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Honestly I'm not quite sure what could be wrong here, it might be related to your regional settings. 

I believe the issue in error 4 is that the "," should be replaced with a "."

Could you please provide the locale in PBI desktop & your desktop regional settings: 
image.png

image.png

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capture5.PNGCapture6.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem solved!

Explanation of solutions:

To summarize, all errors were related to language settings in both PowerBI and desktop as tex628 suggested.

My initial settings were English (United States) in both PowerBI and desktop regional settings since two months - everything worked great until yesterday when these errors suddenly appeared!

Following tex628's hints, I switched to English (Belgium), the errors were still there - but my colleague Marc found a workaround by using parenthesis to separate all expressions; all errors were gone.

Finally, I tried to use the same settings as tex628's, meaning all the settings are in English (United Kingdom), then all the original codes are free of errors and there is no need to use the additional workaround mentioned above.

Problem solved and my credits to tex628!

Thank you everyone for your help!!!

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Regional settings can be a mess! I'm glad that i worked out 🙂

Connect on LinkedIn
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Expand the entire dax editor and take another picture:
image.png

Connect on LinkedIn
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

I'm afraid I can't replicate your error.

My first hunch was that some invalid character has crept into the formula, but I couldn't find any way of producing the same error message.

Could you try re-typing the formula from scratch.

Otherwise, could you share a PBIX exhibiting the error?

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.