Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

IF statement for DATEDIFF to handle an error

I'm calculating the number of DaysToCLose for a sales process. I have a CreatedDate and a ClosedDate to work with. My DAX is this: DaysToClose = DATEDIFF(Opportunities[CreatedDate],Opportunities[ClosedDate],DAY)

Sometimes the CreatedDate is after the CloseDate because of that's how sales works sometimes. When this happens I get and error in my column calculation: "In DATEDIFF function, the start date cannot be greater than the end date"

I need to create a solution to handle this error. I thought an IF statement could do it, but I don't know how to detect for the greater start date. When this error occurs DaysToClose =0. 

Thanks,

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous the SWITCH statement is internally converted into nested IFs but its much easier to write and read Smiley Happy

DaysToClose = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    'Opportunities'[ClosedDate] < 'Opportunities'[CreatedDate], -1 * DATEDIFF ( 'Opportunities'[ClosedDate], 'Opportunities'[CreatedDate], DAY ),
    'Opportunities'[ClosedDate] > 'Opportunities'[CreatedDate], DATEDIFF ( 'Opportunities'[CreatedDate], 'Opportunities'[ClosedDate], DAY ),
)

This should do it!

EDIT: I guess I didn't see this in your original post => When this error occurs DaysToClose =0

If by this you mean when the error occurs value should be zero you can modify the above column like this...

DaysToClose 2 = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    ISBLANK('Opportunites'[CreatedDate]), 0,
    'Opportunites'[ClosedDate] > 'Opportunites'[CreatedDate], DATEDIFF ( 'Opportunites'[CreatedDate], 'Opportunites'[ClosedDate], DAY ),
)

The first formula will give you the differnce between Created and Closed:

+ difference if Created is before Closed and

- difference if Closed is before Created

plus you'll get blanks if either date is blank

The second formula will give you ONLY the + difference if Created is before Closed all else will get 0.

DATEDIFF - 2016-12-02.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous the SWITCH statement is internally converted into nested IFs but its much easier to write and read Smiley Happy

DaysToClose = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    'Opportunities'[ClosedDate] < 'Opportunities'[CreatedDate], -1 * DATEDIFF ( 'Opportunities'[ClosedDate], 'Opportunities'[CreatedDate], DAY ),
    'Opportunities'[ClosedDate] > 'Opportunities'[CreatedDate], DATEDIFF ( 'Opportunities'[CreatedDate], 'Opportunities'[ClosedDate], DAY ),
)

This should do it!

EDIT: I guess I didn't see this in your original post => When this error occurs DaysToClose =0

If by this you mean when the error occurs value should be zero you can modify the above column like this...

DaysToClose 2 = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    ISBLANK('Opportunites'[CreatedDate]), 0,
    'Opportunites'[ClosedDate] > 'Opportunites'[CreatedDate], DATEDIFF ( 'Opportunites'[CreatedDate], 'Opportunites'[ClosedDate], DAY ),
)

The first formula will give you the differnce between Created and Closed:

+ difference if Created is before Closed and

- difference if Closed is before Created

plus you'll get blanks if either date is blank

The second formula will give you ONLY the + difference if Created is before Closed all else will get 0.

DATEDIFF - 2016-12-02.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sean Thanks. I'd never worked with the SWITCH function. An elegant solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors