Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RUION
Frequent Visitor

IF formula for future months

Hi, 

I am struggling to create a new column with a formula that displays if the LoadgDate is a future month or past/current month. 

I am using below formula and for some reason the syntax is incorrect.  Can someone please take a look and advise me? 

New Column =

IF

(OR

(

YEAR([Loadg Date]) > YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH([Loadg Date]) >MONTH (TODAY())

),

"FutureMonth","PastOrCurrent")

)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @RUION,

Try to simplify your formula using this:

Future/Past =
IF (
    EOMONTH ( Table1[Date]; 0 ) > EOMONTH ( TODAY (); 0 );
    "FutureMonth";
    "PastOrCurrent"
)

This formula is comparing End of Month based on the Date column and current month.

Should give you expected result:

futre.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

Hi @RUION,

The formula from @MFelix is Dax expression which is used to create the calculated column.

You could paste the formula when you create a caluclated column in Data view.

Untitled.png

For further , we could take a look at the article below: Calculated columns in Power BI Desktop , which explains the main difference between the two columns.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd suggest one of the few:
1) in the existing formula - switch from OR to AND and from > to >= for YEAR (to cover current year)
2) if you have actual date type field - use EOMONTH to get the last day of the current month, and compare the dates
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/dax/eomonth-function-dax
3) in case there is no date type field in your data - you can compare numbers in the format YYYYMM e.g. 201806 (so Year * 100 + Month). With this approach you have single criteria to compare

Thank you for the kudos 🙂

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @RUION,

Why are you comparing if YEAR is greater than this one OR MONTH is greater than today, for me this sintax doesn't make sense because you need to check if the all date is greater than today right?

How is your LoadgDate column looks like in terms of data?

Do you want to only consider as future months after the end of current month or current date?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

RUION
Frequent Visitor

Hi @MFelix

I don't want to compare with current date because ALL current month's days should be tagged as "PastOrCurrent".  Future month starts at the end of current month.  

LoadgDate.JPGI hope the screenshot answers your question about how the column looks like.  If you were expecting something else, please let me know.  I am new to PowerBi... 

Thanks in advance.  

Hi @RUION,

Try to simplify your formula using this:

Future/Past =
IF (
    EOMONTH ( Table1[Date]; 0 ) > EOMONTH ( TODAY (); 0 );
    "FutureMonth";
    "PastOrCurrent"
)

This formula is comparing End of Month based on the Date column and current month.

Should give you expected result:

futre.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

RUION
Frequent Visitor

That looks easier indeed, but I am getting this message when I try to use it.. And I have no clue what I am doing wrong.. Any suggestions how to overcome this?  I have tried to replace the ; with , but then I get the second screenshot. 

Formula.JPGError.JPG

Hi @RUION,

The formula from @MFelix is Dax expression which is used to create the calculated column.

You could paste the formula when you create a caluclated column in Data view.

Untitled.png

For further , we could take a look at the article below: Calculated columns in Power BI Desktop , which explains the main difference between the two columns.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.