Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New2PowerBI
Helper III
Helper III

IF Statement Help

I'm new to Power BI and would like some help. 

I have a table with values:

FREQUENCY (with numerical values) and FREQUENCY UNITS (with alphanumeric values)

I have another table that provides a "key" of the value (Annual WO Impact column).  For example, If Frequency is 1 and Frequency Unit is Months, the Annual WO Impact column notes "12".  What I want to do is figure out cost based on the Annual WO Impact result (number multiplied by $30); not sure how to connect the two Tables together of if I even need to, I may be making it more difficult than what is needed. 

New to Power BI and community; any help will be greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @New2PowerBI,

In your scenario, please add a calculated column in the table(in my test, it's named 'Fact Table') which contains thousands of records using below DAX formula:

KEY =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    'Key Table'[Annual WO Impact],
    'Key Table'[FREQUENCY], 'Fact Table'[FREQUENCY],
    'Key Table'[FREQUNIT], 'Fact Table'[FREQUNIT]
)

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @New2PowerBI,

In your scenario, please add a calculated column in the table(in my test, it's named 'Fact Table') which contains thousands of records using below DAX formula:

KEY =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    'Key Table'[Annual WO Impact],
    'Key Table'[FREQUENCY], 'Fact Table'[FREQUENCY],
    'Key Table'[FREQUNIT], 'Fact Table'[FREQUNIT]
)

Thanks,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank You!!!  Worked like a charm!  I have a lot of similar scenarios; I'll be able to apply this to more than just one problem.  Thanks again!!

DoubleJ
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

If I got you right: In the "keys table" there is a key column consisting of 2 values (frequency and frequency unit) that match values in the "values" table?

That would mean you need a way to create keys columns in both tables and then combining these 2 values and then relate these two tables by these key columns. Is there a way to clearly distinguish the values? How many different frequency values and different frequency unit values can appear? It might help if you provided more examples.

JJ

Here is a visual of what I have:

FREQUENCYFREQUNITAnnual WO Impact
1MONTHS12
1WEEKS52
1YEARS1
2MONTHS6
2WEEKS26
2YEARS1
3MONTHS4
3YEARS1
4YEARS1
5YEARS1

That is one table; then I have another Table that has thousands of records and each record has a FREQUENCY and FREQUNIT, but not an Annual WO Impact.  What I want is to add a column to the table that notes what the Annual WO Impact is according to this key, first step, and then once that is in place I think I can multiply the value by "x" number of $ and get a cost for that line item.  Does that help?

What you could do:

1) In both tables create a key column concatenating the frequency and the unit, delemited by a special character like "_"

Key = [FREQUENCY] & "_" & [FREQUNIT]

2) relate the tables by these columns

3) because it is an many:1 relationship you can now access the [Annual WO Impact] column as it were in the same table and do your calculations 

Hope this helps

JJ

Thanks for your response!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.