Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mskinner

IF Function with LOOKUP

I need help!

I have a table (tracker) used to track certification attainment within my organization. I have a few columns that are used to show complaince with my org's requirements in regards to attaining certificates (required certificate category and certificate obtained).  I added a column (compliance) that would calculate if a member's certificate obtained matches the required certificate for their position.  The member can get any certificate in a specific required category and be compliant.   Some certificates are present in multiple categories.  I have created tables with each of the categories and their associated certificates

I need help creating an IF( statement that will allow me to determine if a member's obtained cert meets the required cert category of their position. 

I've tried RELATEDTABLE, RELATED, LOOKUP to no avail. Maybe my syntax is wrong but I either get several errors or I won't get the response I should

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mskinner,

Please share sample data of your tables and post expected result here.

And please review the following blog about lookups in Power BI.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/34252.power-bi-the-ultimate-guide-to-loo...

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have one main table,"Compiled Tracker", with several columns including: "Cert Compliant", "Cert Type", and "Cert Level Required"

Cert Level required is related to 3 tables: [name in " ", data below]

"IAM I"

CAP

GSLC

Security +CE

"IAM II"

CAP

CASP CE

CISM

CISSP

GSLC

"IAT II"

CCNA

GICSP

GSEC

Security+ CE

SSCP

Cert Level Required has locked values and must be either IAM I, IAM II, or IAT II 

I need help creating an IF( statement that will allow me to determine if a member's obtained cert meets the required cert category of their position.  A member can have any cert in a specific category and be compliant, IE: If(cert level required="IAM I" and Cert Type=[Any in IAM I] then "Compliant", "Non compliant" 

@mskinner,

What is the data like in "Compiled Tracker" table? Based on your description, you have three tables named "IAM I","IAM II","IAT II", how do you create relationship among the "Compiled Tracker" table and the threee tables?

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The data in compiled tracker has columns like name, organization, cert expiration date and the others i mentioned earlier (Cert Compliant, Cert Type, and Cert Level Required.  Everything except cert expiration is a string.

I created a relationship between the cert type column of compiled tracker table and the only column in IAM I, IAM II, IAT II respectfully.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.